Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to protect against water

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 86blazerk5, Jan 9, 2001.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys.
    I am curently in the process of installing 6 and a 1/2 inch round spaekers in the lower door panel of my truck. It has been a major pain in the @$$ so far becuase I had to place them just right with the window and door braces and what not. However, I have finally gotten all the whole cut just right, and the wirers ran, all I have left to do is put it all back togeather, but i was left with one question. I know water drains down through the door. Where I am putting the speaker is located just above the drain wholes in the bottom of the door. The other day I was working on it and we had a little wintery mix going on outside. The truck was parked at a slight side ways incline, but as I open the door, i noticed that the water was conveniently dripping right through my speaker whole. Of cousre meaning that with the spaekers in place, the water will be dripping right on them. they are not your basic paper speakers, it is kind of like a poly resin feeling stuff, but i dont think they are suppose tp be water proof either. My question is, A. will this hurt my speakers, and B. if so, how can i make it so the water does not get to them. I thought about putting the speaker in with a sheet of flexibble plastic lining in be hind it, then screwing it down and cutting off from around the edges so you cant see it, but would this effect the performance of the speaker by resricting the amount af air that can get behind them... Any coments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey Bro, any compitant stereo shop will have a plastic "cup" or "party hat" that can protect your sepaker. I believe that they are made by Metra or by AI, I cant remember. Hope this helps. NASH

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

3. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks man,
    Thats pretty much exactly what I needed to know. I think I will try to make my own out of just some flexible plastic.
    Thanks again
    ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have 6in polyurethane speakers in my doors and i have made deep water crossings and had both speakers submerged in water and they still work great and only cost me $69 for the pair

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud