Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to pull a stump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, May 15, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

OK, guys, I may have a chance to pull a stump out of the ground with my truck. I think it'd be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just don't know how to do that. Chain? Strap? How to connect whatever it is to the stump? And I expect there should be some kind of rope or something to keep the stump (It's not huge) from being flung into something it shouldn't fling into /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif(it's by a driveway, so could hit stuff).

I'm /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Run a chain or strap over a large tire and down to the roots (dig as much as possible and cut as many roots as you can find first). This will make your horizontal pull into a vertical pull.

Then it would not hurt to attach a safety rope to keep the stump from flying too far also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Just keep the strap low
    you can use a chain(I have) but chain do snap if you yank it(getting a running start) where a strap will usually strech /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. stuper

stuper Registered Member

i was pulling decent sized shrubbry out of my aunts, i hooked the tow chain around the base of the tree by the dirt and the other hooked to the tow hook. i put it in 4 low and just a steady forward. don't gun it just let ur torque work for u. my .02.

theo/stuper

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just pulled a couple of stumps with my K5.
    If it is a big stump you will have to dig out all the way around it and chop off all the big roots or you will ruin your truck trying to pull it out.
    Once you have all the big roots chopped off wrap a chain or strap around the stump so it wont slip off.I personally perfer chain because it bites in and holds better.. Put your turck in 4lo and gently give it the gas and let off then gas it again and rock the stump out of the ground. Use the weight of the truck to pull it more than using a lot of power. This will save wear and tear on the drive train.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hook a "choker" onto the stump, hook another cable to the eye of the choker, and to the bumper bracket of the K5, leave about 15' of slack, put in gear, mash the throttle down, kick it in neutral before the slack is taken up, this way no damage will occur to the drivetrain, while the offending stump is "banged" out of the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is way easier just to dig it out w/ a backhoe...

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No backhoe. K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hook a "choker" onto the stump, hook another cable to the eye of the choker, and to the bumper bracket of the K5, leave about 15' of slack, put in gear, mash the throttle down, kick it in neutral before the slack is taken up, this way no damage will occur to the drivetrain, while the offending stump is "banged" out of the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the post tomorrow.......how to replace reverse gear in ________ (insert your fav auto tranny here). I was pulling out a stump and when trying to hit neutral I accidently knocked it into reverse.

-Scott

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, guys, I may have a chance to pull a stump out of the ground with my truck. I think it'd be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just don't know how to do that. Chain? Strap? How to connect whatever it is to the stump? And I expect there should be some kind of rope or something to keep the stump (It's not huge) from being flung into something it shouldn't fling into /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif(it's by a driveway, so could hit stuff).

I'm /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more fun to use one of these;
    [​IMG]
    There is no stump to get rid of after you are done /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my dad did this with his 79 3/4 4x4 a few years ago. it was a pretty big root..it was fun watching the tires gripping the pavment and skidding a little...he put it in 4low as well and slowly pulled it..

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It is way easier just to dig it out w/ a backhoe...

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Pam- Trust me when I tell you that it's WORTH THE MONEY to hire a hoe for an hour. A good hoe op can dig out a big stump, roots and all, in less than an hour.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but this way is wayyy more fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Trust me when I tell you that it's WORTH THE MONEY to hire a hoe for an hour.

[/ QUOTE ] And you expect me NOT to touch this one right.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea Paul, I have no doubt that a backhoe is easier. But it's for my best friend and he doesn't have the dough to spend on anything right now. They just moved (had to with no notice) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, his wife just had to get the top of her arm replaced with a prostethic /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (ski injury crushed it) and they had to pay cash for the surgery and she's an artist so their income has been sliced in half /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So, I'll use the truck.

And a backhoe doesn't sound like nearly as much fun! If it was a huge stump I probably would rent the thing myself. But I think it'll be easy. And it'll give me practice doing cool stuff with this truck!

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

HAHA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ya beat me to that one fumes! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

SkiGirl, when the stump come's out, it just roll's out onto the ground, like a turd, it won't fly, or catapult, unless You have like 50' of slack in the cable, or chain, when it pop's out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pam- Trust me when I tell you that it's WORTH THE MONEY to hire a hoe for an hour. A good hoe op can dig out a big stump, roots and all, in less than an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't listen to that smack Pam. Pauls just a rotten old hoe operator. What You need is a good dozer operator like Myself. Just drop the blade and shove it right out of the ground. Now there might be some driveway damage but hey it wont take an hr like some slow-ass hoe operator. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif