Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to pull in the synthetic winch line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jun 10, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I know that with the cable, I was told that you have to pull it in with tension on it so you don`t damage the underlying layers, but what about the synthetic line? I just got it yesterday and need to put it in so i can go wheelin on sunday and i`m just wondering if I can just pull it in regularly, or do i need tension on it. The reason I ask is that my only two ways of doing it, one being pulling one of my parents car (neither of them or home) and the other one being hook it to the tree next to my house and pull the truck (some a$$hat is parked in the way). So, what do ya think?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would put a little tension on it just like loading the drum while you hold onto the line, with gloves to prevent rope burn, and load the winch. You do not have to worry about kinks or anything like that with rope but take your time and spool it neatly as it looks better:D .

Ira

3. NEK5

sweet:D

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would run the line all the way out and pull something. It doesn't have to be terribly heavy. Pull a buddies truck or your truck from the tree like mentioned. Then just unhook the rope and spool it in.

When me an my buddy tensioned his cable we hooked my K5 up to his K5 and I put my truck in neutral and stepped on the brake. Once it was getting some decent tension I let off the brake enough to let the winch pull my K5 smoothy but still retain decent tension on the cable. That is the same thing I would do with rope to make sure it is stretched out and fully set when you put it on the drum.

Harley

5. NEK5

Because the rope is made not to stretch, i dont think it`s necessary. My understanding is that the only reason that tension is needed with the cable, is so that it won`t become frayed on the underlying layers, but the the rope is made not to fray. I think what Ira said is what I`ll do.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

X2, thats what i would do...

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have synthetic winch line and asked the same thing of the distributor. Sandawg is correct. Doesn't need a lot of tension, but does need some. I let mine out and pulled in a car on a mostly level surface.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Don't forget to duct-tape the first few raps to the drum...

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

:confused: :confused: :confused: Care to elaborate on that Fred I aint pickin up what yer puttin down:D . I am getting ready to rework my winch mount and load up my synthetic line so I am curious as to what you mean.

Thanks

Ira

10. NEK5

maybe he`s referring to when i pulled out my cable and i didnt leave a few wraps and it got torn apart?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

could be about protecting the rope from heat coming from the drum. Just a guess.

j

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am curious too as to what he means. I never saw anybody duct tape the rope. Mine has a heat sheild on it for the first layer of wraps.

13. FWP

FWP CRS

The rope is slippery, it doesn't grab the drum very well like wire does. It will tend to pull out of the crimped end if you have it spooled out to the max (of course with 5-8 wraps still on the drum). Tape will help retain it on the drum. Search on Pirate, you'll see what I mean. HTH

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is why you run a 8274 and just have a giant knot on the other side of the drums rope-mounting hole. The entire drum would have a structural failure before that knot comes through that hole. Additionally, there is hardly any heat at all in a 8274's drum so the rope is safe there too. Why do people run other types on winches again?! :grin:

j