Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to put in 4x4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I was wondering which was the correct way to put my 4wd jimmy in 4wd, should I turn the ignition off or leave on. when i left it on I heard a very bad grinding noise. Please let me know which is the correct way. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThanks,Marshall/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

If you have auto hubs you can slow to 25 mph an put in h4, if you want low 4, put in nuetral first

3. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

for 4low put your tranny in nuetral first then your t case.

4. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

In any blazer ive ever been in, Ive always heard that grinding noise---even in neutral at a complete stop... Just one of those "not so smooth" sounds you hear from a hulking, full size blazer with a bunch a parts made of steel. ;-)

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

For 4 low, I put my tranny in reverse, than gently push the t-case into 4 low as I move the transmission to neutral, But going into 4 high I have never got any grinding noise.
    Matt

6. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

I get the same thing with 4L in my 86 PU, so i have to be in park, then in park if i goto 4H it grind and i have to be in N to get into 4H

7. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

4 hi is on the fly with auto hubs or manuals locked in. I use it that was even at 80 mph on the highway.
    4 lo I stop and put tranny in neutral then transfer in 4 lo

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I feel like a moron but I havent used 4lo in a while. Do you put the trans in neutral again to put 4lo to 4 hi or 2wd? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have to shift quickly when going to low range. If you're too slow, then the t-case will shift into neutral first, then try to go to low range. With an auto tranny, the output shaft will spin, even in neutral, when it doesn't have a load on it. So the above lets the gears inside the t-case start spinning before you try to engage low range. It will make an ugly noise every time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just learn to move the lever quicker and pass quickly through the neutral position. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

yes, you can't go from hi(2 or 4) to lo OR lo to hi without having the tranny out of gear (neutral).

11. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I think we need to know what truck you have, and which t-case you have in it to make the proper call here.

Either way.... when going to 4LO you need to be completely stopped with trans in Nuetral. With my 241 this works perfectly without any grinding.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Perosnnaly I shift from 2HI to 4HI on the fly because it's the way you are supposed to.
    From Hi to LO you should have it in neutral, but with an automatic it will always grind so my solution, I TURN IT OFF. I hate hearing that grinding noise so it's the best way.
    And no one tell me that it's OK to get the grinding, because grinding = damage on the long run.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, Harry has the right explanation. The grinding is due to the tranny output shaft spinning in Nuetral. If putting it in Park doesn't solve the problem, then you should turn the engine off to shift.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's see, I've got a 205, 231 and a pair of 241's on my toys. I never have to shut off the engine to shift any of 'em into low range. If I'm in a spot where I can keep rolling, I'll slow to a crawl and shift. With everything turning slowly inside, the gears match and mesh easier. If I can't be rolling, I'll shift the tranny to neutral, then try to shift the t-case into low range. Sometimes the gears won't quite line up, so I'll keep pressure on the t-case lever and put the tranny back into gear. Then when the gears start to turn, the shifter drops right into low range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But if ya stop at the neutral position in the t-case and have an auto tranny, it's time to either turn it off or grind up some metal shavings. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I think Grim mentioned also, don't throw the tranny in park with the engine running and the t-case in neutral. It makes a horrible sound as the park pawl trys to engage in the spinning gear. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, since it was mentionned, I had the auto tranny.
    In my 465/205, I never bother, I even shift HI to LOW and Back to HI on the go, but really slow, with no grinding or any problem.

16. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

is that a chain-driven only sickness? my 205 goes in and out in gear, while moving (slowly) maybe its cause of my chrome skull shift knob with those beady little red eyes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. 84K5cedric

so you are able to go from 4hi to 4lo while driving slowly? There must be some bit of grinding involved.

18. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

no, its very painless, no grinding. just tap the gas to speed up the input, ans everything moves smoothly. when i say at low speeds i mean below 5mph
    ryan

19. 84K5cedric

so should all t-cases do this or is this specific to the 205? I guess I could try this weekend.... but it just doesn't seem right? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can shift my 203 from lo to hi or vice versa while I am rolling slowly without grinding, but my 241 grinds unless I have stopped and shift very quickly.