Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To R & R Hood Release Cable 87 Chev Suburban??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dave1, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

Went to open the hood of my 1987 Chev 3/4 ton Suburban the other evening, pulled the T-handle under the dash, and it pulled out about 8-10 inches. Luckily the hood opened.

I looked under the hood and saw where the cable housing had deteriorated and broke apart.

What is the process to remove the old and place a new release cable??

Can the hood be opened manually without the use of the cable? If so, how?

Thanks, Dave

2. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i hate having to go inside the cab to open the hood i plan on running a shorter hood release cable down behind my bumper to save me a few steps when i need to open it.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

they are simple,

youll see as soon as you look at it under the dash there, what you need to do to remove it

youll need to pull it through the firewall into the cab area to get it out of the truck

its simple really

i dont remember the details since its been a while since ive removed one from a rig i was parting, but i have some of these cables laying around still i know

of all the rigs ive been around and owned ive never had a problem with one, other than the handle coming off

wierd.

good luck

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

not a bad idea, but i have to much expinsive **** under my hood to allow someone easy access to it

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

2 or 3 screws hold the handle assembly in place under the dash. Remove those and then pull the old cable into the cab and discard. Install new cable. :)

6. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i like the idea of protecting my stuff also but my truck is a full convertible with no doors so running it behind the bumper is actually more theft prevention than the stock location.