Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to rebuild my axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

OK, I have my 3.73 gears ready for installation on my 10bolt front and 12bolt rear (Thanks Neil). I want to rebuild my axles and do it right the first time. What should I do? Should I simply buy those $100 kits from Richmond that replace all the bearings and seals? Is that what you'd call a rebuild? or is there something else?

Thanks for your help.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

If you are going to do the rebuild correctly you will need to replace all bearings, shims, and maybe the spiders depending on there wear condition. You should check you inner axel shafts for micro cracks (stress risers). You can have them magna fluxed or you can go the cheaper way and use a magnifing glass to check them. Look at all of the tapers, splines, and bearing support areas. Check for grooves in the bearing areas also. 10bolt carriers are notoriouly weak so I recomend changing to an after market diff the loose this weak link. Finally check the housings to see if they have any distortion in them. Axels have a tendancy to bend up and back with hard use. Follow up all of this work with a coat of primer and paint and you will have a drivetrain you can be proud of.