Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to rebuilt a reliable tbi 454

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Aug 29, 2002.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i got a tbi 454 out of an 89 1 ton (along with a dana 60!) and was wanting any advice. i dont want anything special just a mildly built engine that is reliable. also how can i rebuild the tbi is it something i can do or should i take it to somebody that knows what they are doing or get an aftermarket one.
    thanks
    jared

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Why rebuild it at all? Was it a ruinning combo when extracted? If it was, I'd drop it in as is without touching it. Unless you REALLY feel like spending $$$ on it! In that case, toss a good low end cam KIT in there and call it a day. I have a CompCams 11-206-3 cam kit... which makes LOTS OF TORQUE & HP... LOTS. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

3. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

If the engine has a lot of miles on it, just take it apart and have it checked by a machine shop, do a valve job as well as bearings and rings. Then go back all stock except for a "SMALL" cam change (call comp & crane and ask their tech guys) As for the TBI, I buy stuff from Turbo City and have been very happy... They have a lot of options for a TBI from minor to major.... Good Luck...

4. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

therod is knocking so it needs a rebuild. i was going to bore it out a little mainly just to clean it up and put a decent cam in it and call it a day. i just did not want to do it and regret not not doing it another way.
    thanks
    jared