Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove a balancer without a puller?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 2, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tried the puller, my stupid ass grabbed coarse thread bolts and now the threads are boogered up pretty good. One bolt broke off in the balancer /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I've done dumb things before but I'm amazing myself right now.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Drill out and heli coil the one with the damaged threads.
    Try a left twist drill bit to remove the broken bolt.
    You might have to drill the bolt out and heli coil it it.
    Good luck.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

drilled the bolt out, going to retap them all. A 383 crank is $150 for this motor so I think I might just say screw it and do that, so that will be a new balancer anyway.

4. chrisp70

chrisp70 Newbie

I had to borrow a puller from one of my neighbors. I let someone borrow mine you know how it goes. My nighbor owns a radiator shop. He said to put the center bolt back in the balancer loose about half way in. Then get an air chisel with a blunt punch on it. He said most of the time all you have to do is hammer that bolt with a little presure behind the balancer and it will pop right off. The vibration is the trick. If he is having a little trouble he adds some heat. I said Thanks for his puller because I don't have an air chissel either.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got it. I tapped the holes to a coarse thread and ran the bolts in, they were a little loose but it worked well. Decided I'm gonna build a 383 so it doesn't really matter /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

***DO NOT DO THIS ON A GOOD BALLANCER***
    ive used a 3 jaw puller, it pulled the outside off. then put it on the inside and pulled that off.
    ***DO NOT DO THIS ON A GOOD BALLANCER***

my ballancer was junk any way.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its not good to hammer on a crankshaft--the thrust bearings take all the beating,this leads to excessive end play and soon a seized motor. I'm guilty of using a 5 lb.sledge to put a balancer back on a few times ang had no problems,but I've seen engines fail a few days later after doing it that way too.
    I dont know of any good way to remove one without a puller--not one you are planning on re-using anyway--maybe chain it to another truck and drive away? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I have seen someone weld a nut to the balancer and screw a bolt into it to pull it off the crank,but this method ruins the balancer and sometimes the crank snout too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I went through this just this afternoon, like yourelf im gonna build a stroker, so i dont need the balancer, i took the oil pan off, and used a lond drift on the backside of the balancer to drive it off.