Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove a broken thermostat housing bolt from a 4.3 CPI V6?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BayouBlazer88, Feb 16, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I already posted this in the S-series forum but figured I'd get quicker replies here:

The upper radiator hose burst Saturday in my brother's 94 S-10 blazer with the 4.3 CPI V6. I thought I might as well change out the lower hose as well as the thermostat because it has almost 170k miles on it and its probably been a while since it's been change. Turned out not to be such a good idea because when I tried to loosen the upper most thermostat housing bolt, the top broke off. I managed to get the lower bolt out without breaking it so the housing and thermostat could be taken out. Now I'm stuck with a bolt sticking out from the intake about a quarter inch and I've run out of ideas for getting it out. I tried some Vice-grips as well as a small pipe wrench. the vice grips didnt help at all. The pipe wrench will grab well but right when it starts to grab, I run out of room. I was thinking about bending the part of the bolt that's sticking out so I could get a wrench on it or something, is that a good idea or no? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my dad had the same problem on his 94 safari. i think he drilled it out and put a nut on the back side.

3. BayouBlazer88

I thought of that but it isn't possible to get a drill in there without removing the intake. Looks like my brother will be out of a ride until saturday when I have time to pull off the whole intake. Then I'd be able to get a pipe wrench on it, put the bolt in a bench vise and spin the intake, or if worse comes to worst I'll just drill the thing out.

-Whoever designed these CPI's should be tied to a pole and whipped.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

PB Blaster and vice grips. If that fails, you need heat.

I think the pipe wrench will probably break the bolt off again.

Worst case, cut if off flush, drill it, and put in a heli-coil.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

clean it up, place a nut over it, and weld the nut to the bolt good and solid, it works for me alot, since it gives you something to grab and the welding causes localized heating of the bolt

6. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Heat the area up with a small propane torch and try using the vice grips again. Don't over heat it but as the temperature of the metal in the manifold changes, it will expand and might let you remove the broken bolt.

Mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Mine friend had the same problem, but it was on a Ford piece of crap. Heat the area up with a small propane torch and try using the vice grips again. Don't over heat it but as the temperature of the metal in the manifold changes, it will expand and might let you remove the broken bolt.

Mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. BayouBlazer88

I got it!!!. with a combination of WD-40, PB blaster, vice grips, pipe wrench, and dremel tool. Took about 3 hrs but I got it off. And I did it without pulling off the intake.