Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove a sector shaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 1, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I'm pulling apart a spare 4x4 steering box I have. I am gonna clean it up, drill and tap it then install a 2wd sector shaft. Now how do I remove the sector shaft? I have the top cover off and the shaft slides up and down but I can't figure exactly whats holding it. I know its likely me being brain dead.

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Take the 4 bolts out of the aluminum top, and pull the whole works out. No trick to it. It should pull right out. Don't turn or remove the locking nut on top. You may need to turn the shaft to the center ( steering wheel straight)

3. Stomper

If this is the first box you've taken apart, watch out for the ball /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifbearings.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm it didn't want to come out....

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the pitman arm (4wd) is 90 degrees from the frame. Or, the steering wheel must be straight and tires pointing straight ahead. Its gotta be dead straight or the shaft won't move.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

What bearings are you speaking of? I figured this is something that can be done with the box on the truck. I don't want to lose my balls when I do this.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I pulled the shaft, was easy when I indexed it right. I didn't have any bearings fall around in there, so I have no idea.

8. Stomper

Sorry about the confusion... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif You won't find the balls just chaging the saft. The bearings I am speaking of are loose balls. You only find them if you take the box competely apart. There is a shaft inside the box that has a long spiral groove, the balls run in the groove. There is a cylinder that the afore mentioned shaft fits through( the cylinder has the teeth on it that the sector shaft engages) that also has the spiral. If you pull the box apart you will find them /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I may do that yet, if Autozone sells a rebuild kit and its not too much that is. and I just checked, its only $20 si I think I may just grab one of them. So expect a thread about what I should be expecting when I go to pull it all apart and do a rebuild. Good thing I have 2 extras /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What bearings are you speaking of? I figured this is something that can be done with the box on the truck. I don't want to lose my balls when I do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, there are no bearings falling out of the sector shaft. Only when you pull the piston then the ball bearings fall out. Its the worm drive gear that the ball bearings ride in. They are what allow the worm gear to go in and out.

So, the sector shaft is safe and nothing else comes out, except for the power steering fluid itself. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the info guys, I was getting worried for a minute. (tearing the box apart is not nearly as hard as getting it back on the frame)

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Very easy, for some reason, the inside of my box smelled very strong of manure, dont know why that would be?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Will any Chevy sector shaft fit in any other box? I tried putting a shaft from a 2wd SAE box in to a metric 4wd box with no luck. Wouldn't drop the last 1/2". What was I doing wrong?

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i cant explain why the shaft wouldnt drop in rest of way, maybe a ball fell out and into the way ? dunno

i always have great luck removing the shaft(i like to call it the pitman arm shaft actually) while the box is still on the rig, is real easy all have to do is pull off the pitman arm and rmeove the top cover and poof the shaft comes very easily rightout the top of the box with the top cover and all, dont even have to touch the adjuster nut and shaft screw or anything,

try and mark the position of the intermediate shaft by marking it and the box casting

good luck

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

one that i've noticed is that they have to come from the same year models. 81-91 will interchange 73-80 or where ever the break is between the o-ring and flared fittings also interchange with each other.

take a look at the shaft, make sure the gear up on top are identical.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good thing to know before I hit the junkyard.

17. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I may do that yet, if Autozone sells a rebuild kit and its not too much that is. and I just checked, its only $20 si I think I may just grab one of them. So expect a thread about what I should be expecting when I go to pull it all apart and do a rebuild. Good thing I have 2 extras /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You should snap some pics while you rebuild it, and make us a nice tech article. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm its a thought