Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove a truck with no axels under it???Also a steering column swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Nov 28, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Have any of you had to do this before? I need to do it as cheep and easy as i can. By the way anyone want a 73 suburban with no motor/tranir/t-case/axels /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...
    Also, Does anyone know if a tilt column will hook up and work the same as a non tilt column?? Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: How to remove a truck with no axels under it???

Hire a guy with a rollback. I used to move trucks like that all the time on my transport. Getting them off usually isn't that hard either. But thats your best bet. Anything else would be complicated and dangerous.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I had a suburban that I needed to get rid of. I called the local towing/yard and asked how much $ they would give me for a junk sub. I described it to him and he said they would haul it away for free.
    I should mention it was gutted. NO nothing, only thing left was a body held to the frame by 2 bolts(I took out the body lift)
    The tow truck guy winched it onto the rollback and went down the road.

I've also torched apart a pickup and hauled to a yard in 3-4 pickup loads. The same thing could be accomplished with a sawzall and a trailer.

As far as I know, Tilt and regular columns should interchange as long as they are from the same years.(67-72 and 73-91) I swapped an 80 tilt/auto column for a 78reg/man column in my pickup .

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you just need to get ride of it, look in your local paper for one of those "I buy junk cars" ad's. Call them up and let them worry about how to load it up.

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

most places around here want a titel to haul it away for free /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But how much do you think it would cost to Have them tow it with a rollback? Nothing i can do with my triple A card is there /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifany ways thanks again

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

In my auto tech class in high school, we moved a car using 4 floor jacks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. It was like a foot and a half off the ground, but it worked. Needless to say my teacher wasn't the brightest cookie in the jar.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I don't know why, but your avatar had me rolling on the floor laughing my keister off for about 10 min..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Is there some places that will take them even without titles?? Oh, And whats an avatar /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i had one of my blazers towed away that was in the same shape..no drive train at all..the guy just came and winched it onto a flat bed in my driveway..just sat on the springs..charged me 25 bucks and i didnt need a title..

for some reason i actually felt a little sadend when i watched that heap of rust and rot roll away down the street.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, And whats an avatar /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Look underneath Dawson444's name at the video clip. That is an Avatar, and it is Hilarious! The Oregon Duck under my name is an Avatar too.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I had to do it once. It still had leaf springs. I called a tow company and told them what I needed towing and they sent someone out. I didn't even have to pay for it. Apparently the scrap was worth enough for them. They sent out a roll back, and we needed my highlift for one part.

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

borrow a torch from somebody and dice it up.

13. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

cool thanks every body. I think I found someone with a rolback that will take it for free /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh and i still have know Idea what an avatar is /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Avatar is the pic under the username on the right of the screen. I'm not sure if non-members(blue) can even see them. Try going to "my home" at the top of the page and look at your personal settings. I think viewing avatars maybe an option as it takes a little more to see them.(some have animation/video in them)

I'm no computer wiz, I can barely read, but if you really want to know, start a post about it and somebody(hopefully a moderator or the man himself)will fill you in.

15. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Awsome! Now I can see them! that one is pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Oh, And thanks for the help with the truck removel tips /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif