Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove broken bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Apr 21, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys and girls. I have been leaking oil and i beleive it was coming from haveing loose valve covers. So, I started Tightening them down and one of them broke off. Now, I need to get the old one out, and find a new one to put in. The broken off part is sticking up a millimeter or two, so I might be able to get on it with vise grips, but i am not sure that will work. I have the valve covers that have the 4 bolts on the out side, not the two in the center. The one that broke is on the top, in the back, on the drivers side, and it isnt real easy to get too. Any advice would be appeicated.
    Thanks,
    Ike

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you have a welder and a steady hand you can weld a bit more metal on to it and then grab it with a set of vise grips.
    thats what i did on my heads for my datsun.
    but i also had the head off of it.

or....

you can drill in to it a bit and use an ez-out on it. they are a few bucks at sears, or a bunch of bucks for a set. a wise investment.
    grant

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the bolt broke because it was overtightened and you say there is some of it sticking up you should be able to grab it and remove it easily. If it broke because it bottomed out in the hole or on something in the hole such as silicone then it won't be so easy and you will no doubt have to drill it out.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

drilling out bolts take forever and sucks. Try an ez-out. I didn't believe they'd work but man. I'm happy with the results. I broke a bolt's head off on my t-case and thought I was SOL. My buddy recommended an ez-out and it came out like butta.
    my two cents
    juan

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

UHH, you must first drill the broken bolt in order to use an easy out. Besides, to correctly use an easy out you must drill the broken bolt until there is just a shell of the bolt left before an easy out will work correctly. You may get lucky with only drilling a small pilot hole then using the easy out but once you break the easy out you are almost dead in the water.

6. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

Yeah broken ez outs suck, especially when they are in the bolt that holds the carrier pin in place. Had leaking axle seals, so I had no rear brakes. I ended up just wheeling it till it broke( it was a 10B)

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

easy outs suck most of the time.. Ive had one work ONCE removing a diff cover bolt from my dana 44. You must center punch the bolt and start your drill bit DEAD CENTER and stay straight while drilling. and like was mentioned, drill out so there is just a shell left. and then spray lots of pb-blaster and cross your fingers.

the size of easy out that you need for the valve cover bolt is gonna be small anyways so pray that the bolt is not cross threaded or otherwise stuck permanently..

I would buy a pair of VICE GRIPS (not taiwanese brand) if you dont have em already.. new vice grips will have a very sharp, true edge to the teeth and can grab like hell on even the slightest protruding peice of bolt. clamp em TIGHT, you might only get one try!

anyways good luck, it sure would suck to to pull a head to fix a valve cover bolt /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

mike

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you have only a few mils after removing the valvecover?
    can you try using a pick set to spin the broken piece?
    my brothers starter bolts kept breaking and I had good luck with picks.
    i have never played with centre bolt covers but have had to drill old style, hit water of course.

9. ZuluNashun

ZuluNashun Registered Member

I would just weld on a nut to the top of what you have poking out. Fill up the inside of the nut on top. Then just use a socket and twist it out.

10. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yea....this is the exact fix. I have done this MANY times to remove frozen bolts from marine gear cases, water pumps and marine heads. The idea is quite basic and an arc welder works best. BUT.....REMEMBER to also use a STAINLESS washer that has an inner diameter as close to the size of the broken bolt. Also, make sure the washer is also quite wide. The washer acts as a heat shield from the exteme temps the welding machine can make. If you do not, you risk damaging the head. If you are not sure of doing this, call a marina or boat repair shop. They do it everyday. They will likely charge you 3/4 an hour to do it but it beats using vice grips and other devices. It works great. This method works great even if the bolt is broken off below the surface level. Once you know how to do it, it is easy.

11. ZuluNashun

ZuluNashun Registered Member

We do it all the time at work with bed bolts and such. I've seen it done many times successfully. Never unsuccessfully..

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've also used this method. Most recently I had to weld a "head" onto the steering limit bolt in my D60 hub after twisting an "ease out" off in it. Twisted the bolt head off trying to take it out. Drilled it out for the biggest ease-out possible. Broke that off in there without it even budging. Welded a head onto the ease-out/bolt and backed it right out...

13. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Like said before, I would try to use vise-grips. I've used an easyout before. It ended up breaking inside. I ended up drilling the whole thing out and it was a slow process because of the fact that the easyout is hardened steel. PITA

14. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, Thanks, for all the good replys, this has given me many ideas of ways to try to get it out. The mill or two sticking up is a result of that long peice of metal they put in to spread the pressure out over the edge of the cover, so when i take the vakve cover off , I should have a litle more room to work with yet. I wont do this for a little while though do to lack of time. In the mean, time, it isnt leaking oil, so I guess its ok. Thanks again,
    Ike