Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove D60 knuckles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 23, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

title says it all...I am tearing apart my recently acquired D60 to freshen it up with new bearings and seals and a locker...I have everyhting off the housing except the pinion and the knuckles....

On the knuckels I removed the top cap that houses the spring and the bushing. on the bottom, I romoved the 4 bolts that hold the "plate" on but I cant get the plate to budge...Do I have to remove the bottom plate to get the knuckle off...any pictures or explantion as to what to do would be GREAT

Also, how can I remove the pinion gear from the housing in such a way that I can REUSE it....

thaks a bunch..I have to releanr all I knew about front axles with this one-ton deal... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah we werent too sure how to take the knuckles off my buddies 60 eithr, infact, i still would like to know how! As for the pinion use a brass punch and beat it out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

You have to remove the lower kingpin to get the knuckles off. Try twisting it while pulling, that's what worked for me. Then the knuckle will come off, just tilt it up from the bottom.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

After you remove the 4 bolts in the bottom kingpin plate, you can take a mallet or hammer and hit the side of the plate so it will turn 90 degrees... once you tap the plate around 90 degrees, the two ends will be sticking out on either side of the knuckle and you can hit down on that bottom plate working back and forth from one side to the other...
    Once it falls out you can pull the bottom of the knuckle out and lift up and it will come off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The pinion? mine came off after i took off the pinion nut and yoke and gave it a few wacks with a mallet and like a 2x4 in between to take the damage. Then catch the pinion as it falls out keeping all the shims in order. You might have to pound out a pinion bearing race or two after the pinion is out.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif