Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove door glass?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 18, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am trying to remove the vent window and the main window in a set of manual doors I have. I have gotten the door pannel off, and the 3 screws out for the vent window, but nothing will come out. Please help! Thanks!

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I did a set about 4 years back...the vent window comes out last. There are screws everywhere. My '73 doors had three screws for the window crank, three screws for the door latch, the vent has a screw or two up the front door post, one is almost on top. Theres a screw or two for the window track in the back, above the latch...there are several more of them on the inside for window tracks....Lower front (those are the bottom of the vent/front window tracks)

Anyhow..its alot more than 3! If you see a bolt or screw, take it out! You should be able to leave the door handle and latch in, but to get at the vent, you have to take everything else out. The vent is molded into the front window track...it goes way down in there...

BlazerMan

4. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

The "easiest" way is to take the whole thing apart. If there's a better, less-hassle way, I'm all ears.

In case you aren't aware of this: The track on the vent window (for the main window) extends all the way down into the door.
    First, get the rear track (closest to the latch) out of the way. There are a few bolts running down the inside of the door and maybe one near the latch (can't remember). Undoing this will allow you to slide the window away from the vent window track.
    Next, remove the 3 screws (as you've done), a bolt or two holding the track in place about half way (?) down the inside of the door and there's also one little bolt right below the vent.
    You should now be able to pull out the vent window, and then the main window.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Take the rubber out, all of it (several bolts and clips). Next pull the main window out. There are spots in it so you can get the regulator out of it.

Make sure you remove the screw that pinches the door together at the front around the wing. Very carefully yank out the wing.

I just did this recently (put two new doors on my truck) and it took me an hour to take one apart and an hour to put one together. It was easier for me because I just plain gutted everything out of the door.