Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove door panels from an 81 1/2 ton ....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jul 15, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

This one is stumping me. I know it sounds elementary but I guess I must just be missing something. I have an 81' chev 1/2 regular cab truck. I need to take the plastic door panels off to paint them again because the red has faded to *gasp* PINK! I got the 4 screws out along the bottom edge, the two that are underneath the leather strap connectors, the two behind the actual door leaver, and one at the bottom-left corner of the arm rest. There are two screws that I can see that go downwards in the arm rest/tray type thing that are too rusty and won't come out. Do I have to take these out? Are there any more screws/connectors I'm missing because it still seems pretty tight to be just those two screws! Help me plz I hate the pink! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There are two screws that I can see that go downwards in the arm rest/tray type thing that are too rusty and won't come out. Do I have to take these out

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, these 2 screws need to be removed to remove the panel...and by the sounds of it, you've got them all but those 2 pesky rusty ones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yes, those two screws do need to come out. Sounds like you have the rest of them out already. Try squirting a little WD40 down into the holes in the handrest where the screws are, let it sit for a while, overnight if you have the patience. Make sure all the WD40 is completely removed from any part you will be painting or the paint won't stick for long. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

OK, thanks alot guys. I guess I'll do that after I get it safety inspected...... (think $$$$)