Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, May 7, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

we keep talking about half doors and what not but what if we just took off the doors?

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

In some states it depends on where your mirrors are mounted. here in Vermont, you MUST have a driver's side mirror if the vehicle was equiped from the factory with it...most jeeps you see without doors are running mirrors that bolt onto the windshield frame...

I'd think thats the only "draw back" to taking them off all the way.

Brandy

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Same thing goes in Cali... Need atleast the driver side mirror.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You ever tried takin one off by yourself...kinda heavy and you do need a mirrior...Dan

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i was looking at those half doors and the fact is im just too damn poor as a student to throw down 175 bucks for them. I can however use my own ingenuity to set up a mirror system. Seriously though if i wanted to take off the door besides the wieght issue are they hard to line up when you put them back on? whats the deal?

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

just take a marker and draw around where the hinge bolts on and you would be set

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

have any of you guys ever done it?

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Dunerunner bought a set of old doors he is going to Fab up some half doors..I am buying a set of the tube doors...Dan

9. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

The mirror problem is simple. Go with fender mounted mirrors, or modify an ol;d door hinge to hold a mirror and just bolt it on when the doors are off.

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I had to pull of my driver door to weld the door skin. It was a pain in the ass of a job. The hardest part was lining up the door after reattaching it. Also fishing the wires through door was a challenge..

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Are there any ways to make this process easier. I really wanna try running without doors.

12. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I used the aluminum C.B. antenae mounts to mount my mirrors. I used self tapping sheet metal screws to secure them in the area behind the front fender. I will have pics as soon as I get them back from Walmart.

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

There's been talk about modifying your pins to make them easy to pull. Then all you need to do is pul the pain and away you go. If you have power doors, get a quick realease for the wire and your done. Kpanza has this set-up and it works well for him.

14. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was talking about the pull and play doors on jeeps and how to set them up on our righs. I would definatley be very interested in this set up. Since i dont have power doors i dont see it being real hard to do.

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You could get one of those clamp on the front fender mirrors for cars pulling a trailer and take it off for trails.

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Like Esteban said, I have this setup on my truck. I can't recall who put up the picture of the modified door pins, but if you do a search you should be able to find it. You basically remove the door pins (you have to grind off the small tab that keeps them in from the factory first), then drill the end of the pins for a cotter pin or other lock pin, re-insert the pins and there ya go! The best thing about this setup is that you never have to line up the door hinges again! You just pop the doors off and on and nothing else changes...

As for the wires, I went down to the local electrical shop, and bought some 12 pin quick disconnects...wired in all of the power windows, speakers, door locks, etc and now I just pop off the disconnect, pop the pins out and I am set. I can do it all myself if I have to, but it is much easier with two people...

As for the mirror issue, that was also pretty easy. I took a Jeep mirror from Steel Horse and simply swapped it on my truck. It goes on with four screws when I pull the doors off...it folds like three different ways for total adjustability and you can also pull it in for trail obstacles...I will try to get pics of it next time I have the doors off...

17. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

18. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

In AZ you only need one mirror and it can be the inside rearview mirror.

19. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

im pretty shure in cali you have to have doors i have a friend that was runnig a bronco w/out doors with just mesh across the openings and got a ticket i told him it was cuz he was driving a POS ford all my chevy friends laughed but he just shot me a look

-scott

20. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I really apreciate the pictures, anything anyone else has would be very helpful. If i do this i would be more than happy to document it and do a writeup for the site.