Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove front fender

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Feb 14, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys...

there appears to be a skin to this fender that I can remove by drilling out the spot welds. however, I'm curious how to remove the entire front fender. I'm sure it is just a matter of finding all the bolts, but I seem to be missing some.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Remove the whole fender in one piece, one bolt top under hood one bolt bottom , lots of bolts in wheel well, bolts where fender attaches to core support, oh yea you gotta take your hood off first because the hinge bolts to the inside of the fender, Your right it is two pieces all spot welded together but pull it off by the bolts

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

There are bolts all over that fender,LOL I'm not sure on your year but on the pre 80's I'v taking apart there is on in the door jamb, one on top of the cowling, on on the bottom, 6 or 7 on the inner fender and then 4 or 5 down the core support. Depending on what you are trying to acomplish(sp?) I would consider taking the whole front..less bolts,LOL. 12 to remove the whole front[​IMG]

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

4. solowookie

yea thats kinda what I was afraid of... well the hood is already off cuz I've got the engine pulled, and I thought I'd tear into the body work while it was apart.

anyway this fender is the only place on the thing that requires any body work besides sanding off some cancer that isn't all the way through. I get this one done, and all I have to do is sand the rest either down to metal or primer.

still debating on how I'm going to paint it... either zero rust straight to metal, or who knows what. I don't want to spend a lot of $$$, or have a paint job so nice I'm not willing to use the thing. problem is I can't figure out how to accomplish both of those while going down to metal.

there are spots with primer there still, but most of it is down to metal.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Man, there is like 50 bolts on that front fender. OR was it like 15 to 20. Cant remember but it is a royal pain in the pucker hole!!! The easiest way would be to use the saws-all!!! [​IMG]

**WARN**ing, Something winching this way comes! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

When we pulled ours off- we took it off in one piece- we were replacing the radiator support as well- so only undid the main bolts--on the outside- but when sitting inside- they would be where your feet are- (what would you call that).. the two bolts from the body lift in the radiator support. and then just flipped her over- there may have been a few more.. but there was a lot of crap to undo- the wires, resivours (sp?)..that sort of thing..I know it was a lot quicker to flip it over than it was to put the new ones back on! when we put them back on- we put the inners and outters together first.. then only had the main bolts to put on- it was eaiser I think than trying to line them up together while holding them in place..
    but this is an 86, maybe yours is different?

good luck to ya!
    Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v pulled off three fronts and all three I left together.. just pull the core surports (2) the fender (one bottom, one top, one in the door jamb) and the inner fender( 2 in the firewall/toeboard area)then grab a buddy and off it comes..and yeah you have to monkey with the battery, overflow tank and cruise if you have it.

to pull a single fender off you have to fight it pretty good, cuz you have to slide it forward and out and up to get it off the rest of the front..i would say 12 to 15 for on fender to be removed. If your trying to get one fedner off to put it on a work bench to work on then I can see why to do it that way..

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

8. solowookie

yea I have to get it off to do some body work on it... I also need to take it up to get all those little holes welded in... [​IMG]

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I just did this tonight...pulled the front clip....at least enough to get to the door bolts. Hopefully I will fix those damn things forever......Ended up taking the bumper off too, since it was a little crooked, and noticed the frame is a little messed up...also really wish I hadn't gone mudding last week. Great way to spend a Friday night!

90K5

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Just start taking bolts out. It'll fall off sooner or later.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

11. solowookie

yea I got it off today... had cancer all over the back side, but I got a new replacement for $50, just replacement was $35 so I went for the better one.