Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove heater control knob thingys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Searched to no avail. Anybody know how to remove the silver knobs at the end of the heater control slide thingys without breaking them off?

Thought I saw someone mention how a while back but nada came up in search. TIA guys.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just pull them off, they are a little tight but nothing special to doing it.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

On my 84 the silver knob is part of the plastic arm and is not removable. Ask me how I know...... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies.

Scott - what year is your rig?

Paul - /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's what I'm hoping to avoid. My factory service manual doesn't address removal of the knobs. The whole control box is removed as a unit. The arms that those knobs are connected to aren't removable on my control box, so it's gotta come off somehow. In your case, not the result I was looking for /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pam, what are you trying to accomplish? The dash bezel will come off without removing those knobs. The entire control panel is screwed on behind the bezel and can be removed as a unit. Is there another reason you want to remove the knobs?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My current rig is an 89 blazer, but my 76 blazer is the one I removed them on before.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on the 85, the one for the fan is missing, but not broken. so its got to come off somehow

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi Harry! Happy New Year! Hope your holidays were fun.

I'm painting the interior, I didn't really want to remove the whole unit, just get it out of the way a little. Thought I'd clean that clear plastic piece and underneath it while I was at it.

Removing it isn't critical to paint, and didn't want to make more work for myself if getting that clear piece off would be easy. If not, I'll just leave it there. There's just this little section of dirt under the clear piece.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif J/K. I'm not that anal... no really, I'll get over it. I won't see that little peice of dirt after a while... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Scott! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea TJ I'm missing one too. But I figured it broke off when the PO tried to do what I'm trying to do now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif