Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove Powersteering/Alternator bracket on 89?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 18, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How do you remove the whole aluminum bracket that holds the alternator and power steering bracket? One of the bolts for the bracket is directly behind the power steering pump. Not only can I not get on the bolt but even if I could it wouldn't turn out.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh, youll have to pull the pulley on the ps pump to get it off. Be sure you get the correct tool to pull it, not a jaw type puller. The right tool, utilizes that little ring around the shaft on the pulley.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I just went and got the proper puller.

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

That is one thing I hate about the tbi motors when you have to replace the header gaskets. You have to pull the power steering pump off every time.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is one thing I hate about the tbi motors when you have to replace the header gaskets. You have to pull the power steering pump off every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just swapped headers and didn't have to touch anything on the front of the engine in my 89 p/u.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as far as I can tell you'd have to pull the power steering bracket off if you wanted to replace the header gaskets. There needs to be a spacer sandwiched between the header and the power steering bracket. Could be remedied by replacing the stud with a bolt though.

7. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    as far as I can tell you'd have to pull the power steering bracket off if you wanted to replace the header gaskets. There needs to be a spacer sandwiched between the header and the power steering bracket. Could be remedied by replacing the stud with a bolt though.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'll try and get a pic of my set-up and post it. I think that mount may have been hacked off by my friend, the PO... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But it still work and doesn't flex. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah the aluminum bracket is pretty stiff but I'm not in the habit of cutting off added support when its already there.

9. Emmettology 101

Maybe thats the difference and I didn't pick it up in the earlier post... My bracket isn't aluminum.. The bracket is all steel.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my serpentine brackets are big aluminum pieces, every setup I've seen is /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Emmettology 101

Hhmmm.... This is the second bracket I've had that was steel and haven't seen an aluminum one. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'll get a pic in a little while..

12. Emmettology 101

One thing I was thinking while I was out.... You have a BBC dont you? I have pics of mine and will post'em.. My power steering bracket has been cut so it is not bolted to the header.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

SBC
    [​IMG]
    The big bracket is aluminum the bracket that goes from the alternator and aluminum bracket to the manifold is steel.

14. Emmettology 101

Hmmm.. Haven't seen one like that.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Here's mine..

Drivers side:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side:
    [​IMG]

15. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I think the early ones were steel. Mine is out of an '88 and the brackets are steel. Made it nice when I mounted the York next to the alternator, as I could weld tabs off my steel brackets for the mount.

16. Emmettology 101

And something I didn't catch with my pictures is that my alt is mounted up high next to the idler arm...