Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove pressed rocker studs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, Oct 16, 2000.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got some pressed in studs that are worn from rockers rubbing on them. Anyone know how to pull them? Preferably without having to pull the heads. Thanks.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

2. bushwacker

bushwacker Registered Member

Just went through that exercise. I removed the rocker nut,arm and cone washer, then placed a socket over the studleaving some threads exposed. Put a flat washer on the socket and then replace the nut and crank it down , it will slowly pull the stud out. If you run out of thread before the stud is free, you have to remove the socket and replace it with a longer one and repeat the process. Pain in the a$$, but no need to remove the head. Hope this helps. Bill

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Well bushwacker has it. You can also just stack washers, stack pivot balls, etc.

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Well what I want to know, is how do you get them back in? Or do you convert them to a screw in type? - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'd convert them to screw in studs. Makes em easier to work on later. To put press in's in, you'd need to remove the heads and use a press. I made a jig for this one time. I took a flat piece of 1/4" steel about 1" wide and drilled two holes the width of the studs apart. I pulled one stud, then used the other stud as a placement and bolted the jig in place. On the other hole I welded a nut in place that had the same threads as the screw in studs. I then run my tap in using the nut as a guide to keep the tap square. This is the key when tapping pressed in studs with screw in a type. It was a slow process but it worked. Now when I pull the heads, if they have pressed in studs, I put screw in studs in.

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Moved to front to respond to the other question same topic