Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove sm465/np205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 454k30, Jan 12, 2007.

1. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Has anyone dropped the 465/205 combo out of a lifted truck? I need ideas as I plan on doing this in my driveway and then taking the transmission into the garage for a rebuild.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

pull the trans hump cover and use an engine hoist, thats the easiest way... im going to use a truck with a crane to change my clutch...

3. 454k30

pretty neat idea. I dont have an engine hoist at this time but now I have an exscuse to buy one! I was thinking of using something like a motorcycle lift but i dont know if it will go high enough.

4. Confedneck79K30

close, use 4x4s to make it work

5. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll second the cherry picker. That is how i do it too.

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

anyone use a tranny jack? can they even reach?

7. Confedneck79K30

hardly on a stock truck and a real pita on a lifted one...

8. Confedneck79K30

i did a 700/np208 on a 4" lifted k10 with a floorjack, what a pita, imagine a cast tcase...

9. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I did a variation of this, used a full Aframe chain hoist through the tranny tunnel and windshield on a truck at a junkyard. Lowered it down very nicely, then just had to pull it out from beneath that truck... make sure you get your truck as high as you can safely go, SM465s are taller than they first appear, any you will need the frame clearance

10. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

however you do it, remove the tranny hump cover-so much easier if you do.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

There is another option we figured out a couple months ago. I will try to describe it, as I have no pics. With the tunnel top removed, get a 4" wide ratchet strap and run it under the trans/tcase where they meet. hook the short side(near the ratchet) to the bottom of the passenger side rocker. Hook the long side to the driver side rocker. Hold the loose end of the strap in your hand while you are in the door opening on the drivers side. Put tension on it and have someone underneath steady the trans and seperate it from the engine. Slowly let the loose end of the ratchet strap be pulled away from you. The trans will start to lower itself and will rotate to the right as it goes down. You may want to put something under it before it goes all the way to the ground to be able to get it out from under the truck.

I used that method to remove a 350/208 combo from a lifted blazer and was able to do it with one hand. You use the point that the strap goes through the ratchet as your snatch block and some of the weight is supported by the other hook as the trans rolls down. It was a spur of the moment decision that I will use from now on. I hope it helps you.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what I'd do..

The engine hoist idea is a good one--IF you have one,and a removeable tunnel!--some trucks dont!..but its nice to be able to lower it from ABOVE,out of harms way if something goes wrong!..

I removed the SM465/NP205 from my 72 K5 3 times ,before I found a decent clutch that would last more than a month!.(never again will I use a 12" three finger pressure plate!:mad: )..

I used nothing more than my full sized floor jack ,with one of those adapter things that convert it to a tranny jack..it reached up high enough OK,but I found once I lowered it all the way,it was still to high to get everything out from under the truck!..but I didn't need to roll it out from under the truck,only pull it back far enough to change the clutch ..

My truck had no lift kit,and if it did,or I had jacked it up high enough to get the jack and the tranny/t-case out from under it,most likely the jack wouldn't have reached--and adding blocks to make reach brings you back to square ONE!..

I'd reccomend taking the tansfer case off first,then the tranny..bolted together they weigh close to 500 lbs!..even Hercules will get a hernia dragging that ingot into the garage from under a truck!..handling one at a time was bad enough for me,doing it alone..its only 6 bolts or so,to yank the transfer case ,not a big deal..USE A STRAP to hold the T-case and tranny to the jack,if you use one instead of a hoist!..they love to tip off the jack and crush skulls!..:crazy:

13. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

This is how i did mine, Then i used a hi lift jack to lift the whole side of the truck to get the darn tranny out from under the truck. It was a close fit but it worked fine. The tranny adaptors for those jacks are cool because they have a chain or seatbelt strap on them to strap the whole combo together from falling off the adapter. I personally choose to leave the whole combo together when pulling and installing. Those adaptors can handle some weight because my doubler with 700r4 weighs close to 500lbs all bolted together and ready to go. Havent tried the cherry picker yet, but i bet that works the best for a sm465/205 because the tranny is just as heavy as the transfercase. My setup, the transfercases weigh a lot more then the tranny so the weight would be unbalanced.

14. 454k30

Thanks for the great advice guys! This all leaves me with lots of options to try.

15. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

if you need to get it to stock height let the air out of the tires...then if you need more room to get it out from under the truck air it back up... why take it apart as a unit?? take off the tcase and it is 1/2 as heavy, an easy job for 2 people...

16. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

not to sound like a jackass, but i could have the 205 unbolted and dropped, then then 465 unbolted and dropped before you had the tranny tunnel off.. with a floor jack..

harbor freight sells a tranny jack that is pretty useful if you want to drop the unit as a whole.. together they're pretty heavy and unstable on a floor jack but its doable.

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive done three transmissions with a floor jack and one with a cherry picker. personally it was easier to move the tranny around both off and back on, it was easier to line it up with the cherry picker cause it was hooked to a chain but at the same time I had to have someone else put the bolts in while I lined it up because it would swing back on the chain if I let go where with the jack once it was lined up it stayed there. I also feel a little safer with the cherry picker because its hooked to a chain and theres less of a chance of dropping it. I dont have a cement floor either so that makes it a little harder to do with a jack. once you get all the weight on the jack its hard to move it around in the mud.

18. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have used a sears motorcycle jack with great success. I was actually able to do the install by myself with the 465/205 bolted together but it wasn't easy.

19. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Yup, it worked like a charm. But it was a 350/203 combo, so it was much heavier...But no problems at all holding it with one hand through the strap.

Hopefuly i dont have to use this method again:doah:

20. Confedneck79K30

we ended up trying with the floor jack under it and a comealong to the headache rack, then used a ratchet strap to the front crossbar of the jack then the other hook to the front of the frame...and pulled it forward... ended up with a HF trans jack AND a floorjack, thats one heavy, unwieldy sob...