Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove the chrome molding?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

basically just that... if i want to remove the chrome (or whats left of being chrome) molding, what is the best way without doing much or any damage to the body underneath? use a heat gun or something?? i want to remove this and the aluminum panel on the tailgate for repainting the whole truck soon. thanks!

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

if you're talking about the chrome trim on the wheel wells, it just unscrews - if its the older style with trim all over, its either glued or screwed in. comes off fairly easy. the trim on the tail gate has four studs that go into the tail gate. need to take the panel off -- i dont know if the window has to be removed or not, because mine is broken :grin: :grin:

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

on my 86's it had chrome molding about middle of the truck all down the side that wrapped around the rear to the tailgate.. it was glued on so i just peeled it right off, then sprayed on some soapy water and used a razor to get the glue off, the molding is rubber/plastic except for the small piece that wraps around the rear under the tail light, that's metal and is being held on by a couple clips/screws, i just popped them off and it left a couple small holes, no biggie, i'm getting ready for a full rattle can job later this summer. I also took my pinstriping off, parked in the sun for about an hour so it was nice and warm, then i took a razor to that also, worked like a charm.

4. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

i did mean the strip that goes the length of the truck.. sorry about that :blush:

awesome, i didnt think it would come off that easy.. cool, thanks!....the trim around the wheel wells already came off a long time ago. was all rotting around the screws so it didnt stay on too good...

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

just go rock crawling.... they like chrome:grin::grin:

6. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Chrome removing tips.

You could go about it the way i did and rub every body panel against a tree until all the trim, doors, mirrors, and fenders are wasted. But seeing youre goin to be prepairing to paint your rig, i would just pull up a corner of the trim peices on the side, and PULL!!. Its goin to leave some double sided sticky tape on the truck, unless youre really lucky. To get the sticky stuff off you can go down to an automotive paint store. They should have a rubber wheel , its an eraser. It goes on the end of a die grinder and you can remove the pin stripes, left over glue ect without damaging the paint underneath. Hope i was some help. Lata Josh

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

IF you have a black truck it is probaly already pulling off in places to begin with. The only thing is the holes where they though they needes to put metal clips through the panel to hold it on. IT kinda gives it a good look when the double stick tape is still stuck to the vehical. HARDCORE :D

8. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

i got them mostly off... just didnt do the corners under the tail lights yet....they pretty much came right off. in all of them there was a gap in the center since there was no tape there. i just stuck a flat head in there and it pried back pretty easy and then just yanked it off...

it seemed like they were all decently still stuck on, no dry rotting type issues with the glue or anything.....the strips themselves did look pretty bad though. most of the chrome layer was gone or wearing out except for those corners in the back. one plus though...under the strips i found one of the last places that still has some really good quality paint...as good as the day it came out of the factory! :D .....now about the rest of the truck...ummm.... :crazy:

...now time to remove all the sticky tape it left behind...