Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove transfer case. bring down the whole tranny with it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, May 16, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

700/208 combo. Im replacing the transfer case. whats the easiest way to go about doing this? Remove the whole thing with the transmission and cross member? or can i just remove the transfercase and bring it down?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just need to pull the case. lower the crossmember a couple inches and set it on jack stands across the tranny pan. use a wide peice of wood to distribute the weight. That will give you enough room to get the case off. That case is a real goofy shape. I helped a bud pull and install one and he threw out his back man handling it. I have a jig built that bolts onto the end of my floor jack that cradles the case. It has some give so I can easily tilt the case to line it up. Just made it out of some 3/4 ply wood and some scraps of wood.
    One thing to watch out for is the four bolts that hold the adaptor to the tranny will some times strip out. if you have threads come off then you will need to Heli Coil the holes.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If you're just replacing the Tcase, then it's easiest to just remove the Tcase. Get a jack up there and remove all the bolts from the Tcase adapter to the tranny, or the tcase to the adapter and then lower it. Maybe get a ratchet strap and strap the tcase to the jack or something to keep the tcase from falling off. Just use common sence and be careful.
    Boss

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a useful tip. Drain the 208 before you start removing bolts. Some of the bolts thread all the way into the interior of the case. So when you start unbolting them, ATF dribbles out everywhere! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. sinchphoto

i think jack stands would be a pain. i have a ten inch lift

6. sinchphoto

the only thing holding the tcase to the tranny is the four bolts on the adapter right? is there a shaft of some sort that comes out of the tranny into the tcase? if so wouldnt i have to pull the tcase out a few inches so it can be free? thats before i bring it down thou. thanks for the help

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

yes, you will need to slide the t-case back to clear the output shaft on the trans.

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Its very simple, I did this by myself last weekend and it took about an hour, removed it and replaced it with another one. Drain the case, disconnect your driveshaft, shift linkage, spedo cable, and reverse light wire. Leave the side brace on for now. Then undo the 6? bolts that hold the case to the adapter. Then undo the 2 brace bolts then slide the case back to free it from the trannyshaft. Its not that heavy so I didn't use a jack. Then to reinstall it, just do the opposite. I bench pressed the case back into position then bolted on the brace to support it. Hope this helps.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the way it's set up is Adpator bolts to tranny then the Case bolts to adaptor. If you only need to mess with the case then just leave the adaptor attached to the tranny. Savage is right on with what you need.