Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to remove u joints!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 4, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i am working on an 84' chevy 2wd truck with a 305/700r4 combo and am trying to replace the u-joints in it but cant seem to figure out how to get the old ones out, there are no visable snap rings or clips holding the u-joints in, but i did notice that there are some sort of blue plastic dots in the side of the yoke, would these have anything to do with it? please help! i bought new u-joints for it but they have the clips that snap inside.

2. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

Is it a u-joint or a cv-joint? The cv's have a c-clip on the joint inside of the yoke. They come out with a small screwdriver and light tapping with a hammer. Be careful though because they will tend to fly across your shop when they come out.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

if they are the GM original U-joints (unlikely, but possible) they will have plastic injection caps which can be melted out with a torch (CAREFUL that stuff is HOT!)

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Those plastic dots, are plastic injections from the factory. They have to be melted out to remove the Ujoint. Good luck.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

like above heat is the key. take tourch and heat the yoke area around cap. it will pop out sometimes with speed so becarful . nice even 360 around heat in circular motion. usaly get about 1.5-2" of yuk out of each hole. let it cool as it will be hot (i know from past me dumb) and then remove like all others. and then remove extra plastic with pic or screw driver from groves. :cool1: and install new with clips like normal.