Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to remove windshield glass

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mastercraftkpk, Jul 14, 2003.

1. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to strip all paint from my '72, and want to remove the windshield (without breaking it).

I have looked it over, but do not see how to remove w/ out cutting out the seal that surrounds it.

Has anyone done this?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Remove the Chrome/or black center strip from the rubber seal itself, spray WD 40, or some other lube around the rubber seal, windsheild area, and gently push from the inside, with Your leg's, while You are seated.

start in a corner, and just go slowly.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a hammer

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

not sure how the first gens are, but it should either have a seperate "locking" strip that can be peeled out of the middle of the rubber or it will have a slit in the rubber all the way around (built in locking strip). the best tool for this is a cotter key puller, like an awl with a curved section at the end. if it's the slit type, stick the point into the slit and get the locking half to come out from under the other half of the rubber. once you have a couple inchs out, drag the cotter key puller around to unlock the rest. if it's got the seperate strip just pull that out.

once "unlocked", start to work the cotter key puller between the rubber and glass. be gentle, and work it loose all the way around. soapy water in a spray bottle will help lube it. i usually just use "spray 9" or something similar.

once it's all loose, go inside and apply steady pressure with your palms to the upper area of the window to get it coming out of the rubber. handy to have 2 guys for this. work the top out first. the top corners will be a little "difficult". but once the top corners are free the rest will come easy...

hope some of that helps... good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

the first gen`s dont have lock strips...they either have a plain black gasket or a gasket with metal chrome in it...the best way in my 11 years of doing glass would be to cut the gasket and replace it later (less than 50 buks),.you would wanna cut the inner lip off inside the truck..then gently with palms open push it out from the top first....just my .02

6. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone....I will try to use the soap/lube tricks. If it gets to be a real PIA, I'll cut it out as Laedfoot suggests.

Cheers

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif