Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to removed the wiper arms?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Mar 21, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming you just pull them straight off, but they aren't coming. I just wanted to verify, or see if anybody had any suggestions before I got down and dirty with them.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about removing the entire linkage? If so, you need to disconnect them from the wiper arm motor. I believe a 10mm socket and a 1/4" racthet and extension should do the trick.
    Don't remove the nuts all the way, just make them both loose.
    -- Mike

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is a little clip thing on the underside that releases the arm from the splined end. Believe it or not GM makes a special tool for wiper arm removal...
    I bent the tip of an old flat blade screwdriver which seems to work OK as long as the arm isn't 'frozen' onto the splined end.

Rene

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I painted my K5 couple years ago I pulled the arms off.. They were stuck. I just used a flat tip screw driver and worked around the base of the arm that mounts to the splined ends.Took some energy,and some pulling to get them off...

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

thanks guys - I'll have to try that in the morning Rene, or go see if the local bodyshop will lend me their wiper removal tool.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

With the right tool, they will usually yank right off. Lisle makes one that's pretty cheap. Most parts stores carry 'em.