Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to repaint axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jun 29, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys, im going to be doin my 3/4 ton swap real soon on my k5. since the axles im swappin in have surface rust, i wanted to sand it down and paint them black and get new diff covers to get rid of the eye sore underneath the truck. what would u guys recommend i use to paint the axles? any tricks? thanks guys

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have heard easy off oven cleaner works great to get all that crap off. I used a sand blaster with my dad's big ass air compressor. It still took forever but it got most of the rust and grease off. I then applied several coats of black gloss Rustoleum until the desired effect was achieved :)

I would keep your diff covers and just buy rock rings like I did, just my opinion though :)

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i wirewheeld EVERYINCH and used some hamerite powdercoat finish paint

4. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I just had surface rust on mine. So instead of killing myself cleaning it all off I degreased and pressure washed it. Coated them with Por-15. Its been a year and they still look good hasnt chipped off. The gloss faded where the light hit it after a few months but its about time I gave them a coat of paint over that stuff anyway.

5. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Use a scotch pad with acetone to scuff them up and rattle can some engine enamel semi gloss black. When you scratch and chip, rattle can again for touch up.