Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to replace accelerator pump cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, May 8, 2006.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So I called Holley and yeah the guy said I need the accelerator pump cam kit. He told me to use the black one.....

now the kicker is I bought the kit and there are no instructions... holleys website doesnt say anything either... so how does one go about replacing the accelerator pump cams???
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. RootBreaker

so it was super easy... I took the screw out of it..
    I thought the plastic acc pump cam was IN the carb.. didnt know that it was bolted to the throttle lever.....

so once the screw was out.. it just twisted right out... so then I put the new one in....

however I did notice that now the spring unit for the cam is out of adjustment.. so how do you adjust that?
    I searched google and got put to holleys page...
    their page is tough to read.... can someone tell me how you are supposed to adjust it or tell me what they are talking about here....

First you will need to check the adjustment on the pump. To do this you will open the throttle all the way (WOT). Push the pump arm lever down and then adjust the pump override spring to obtain .015" clearance between the pump arm and lever

4. RootBreaker

just called holley and the guy was confusing me... so I still am not sure

he said that I have to adjust so the nut just touches the spring.. when I hit the throttle the pump arm will go down... well it aint going down.... as it feels like it is already down all the way....

I can grab the arm and push it up.... I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!!

5. RootBreaker

never mind I got it.... fricken thing..

I just realized that there are 2 holes on the carb... the original pump cam had the screw in the first hole...
    the pump cam had the screw hole in a different location.. so I moved the screw out of hole 1 and into hole 2...... viola....all fixed.. now the accelerator pump moves.. wife is taking a quick nap as the baby in her gut is wearing her out...