Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to replace freeze plugs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm preparing my 454 for installation. (No, no rebuilding yet. I'm out of cash). One of the urgent fixes is replacing the freeze plugs since one of them is leaking and the previous owner just tried sealing with some silicone (I understand he didn't replace it because it's the rearmost one).

Can someone please tell me what's the proper method for replacing them? From removal to installation. What kind of sealant?

I ordered a 454 rebuilding book, but hasn't arrived yet. I'm sure that would be covered there.

Thanks for your help.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use a hammer and screwdriver and pund it part of the way in, then use pliers to remove it.

Take a large socket about the size of the plug and put it in. It just sits in the hole. No sealant required.

Use brass. Steel sucks and is hard to remove later.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I sencond this post too. Damn 84, we're on a roll here.
    I replaced the steel plug in a 350 i purchased a while back and those steel biotches were a pain in the a double ss

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>