Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to Replace the King Pins and Bushings in 1986 3/4 GMC 4x4 PU???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave1, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

I blocked the front end of my 1986 GMC 3/4 4x4 pick up truck in the drive way last night and tore down the front hubs/spindle to replace wheel bearings, spindle bearings, seals, axle u-joints, etc. Once disassembled I noticed the king pins and bushings are loose. Not having ever replaced them before I need some "how to" advise. Is this something I can do myself at home with regular hand tools? What is the step by step procedure for replacing them?? Thanks, Dave1 davisalf@aol.com

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> An 86 3/4 ton should have a 10 bolt, which has ball joints, not king pins. You can do this in your driveway, it's not that difficult of a job. You need a ball joint press and basic hand tools, but since you've already torn apart the whole front end, just the ball joint press will do it.</font color>

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

A 3/4 ton with king pins??
    I thought the 3/4's all had ball joints and only the dana 60 had the king pins?

To change the ball joints you need a balljoint press, or just strip the axle down and out of the truck and run to a near by machine shop. they can pop the old ones out and install the new ones in no time.

To have an alignment shop to do this would be $500 ( I know I called,LOL)

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

$500? Wow, and i bet some people pay it.
    Come over to my house and I'll do it for $250.
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- Mike

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I said screw that and went and bought a whole complete running 77 for $1100, got my front, rear, tranny and tcase out of it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif sold the motor out it and it gave me a starting point for the Willy's