Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to replace water pump on 1997 Chev Cavalier 2.4L DOHC

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by scavenger, Mar 23, 2002.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me, or e-mail me the proper way to replace a water pump in a 1997 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.4L dual overhead cam engine (Vin "T") with an automatic tranny. I am going to attempt this for someone (Sister In-Law) that does not have the $740.00 the dealer wants. So with her lack of funding and my lack of knowledge this should be a real experience. I did buy a Haynes manual for this car, but I am not very impressed by their lack of detail.

It would be nice to get detailed removal/replacement procedures, but if this is not possible, I would like to know the following:

1) What parts besides the water pump will need to be purchased.

2) Will the head, exhaust manifold, and timing gears and chain have to be removed. The Haynes manual says the exhaust manifold must be removed, but I don't see where this is in the way of anything other than if the head would need to be removed (dosn't say anything about the head)

3) Would it be wise to replace the timing chain while doing the water pump.

4) To get the timing cover off the crank pulley must be removed. This looks like it will be a nightmare due to the fact that there is a whole 2 inches in front of it to get your hand / tools on it. I don't see how I could get a puller on it.

I would really appreciate any and all info on this as soon as possible. I would also like to know if there are any places on the internet that would give me the above requested information. Ther seems to be a big problem with the water pumps in these 2.4L engines, but none of the "J" body sites have any writeups for the removal / replacement.

Thanks,
    Pat.

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

replacement of the water pump should not enclude the removal of the timeing chain.. As for clearance on the front side to get pulleys off that is easy.. get the tool to take it off.. jack up that side of the car and take the wheel off.. Remove or move to the side the fender skirt and you will see that it isnt that hard to get in there... Its not as hard as it looks.. just remember what bolts came out of where and label things as you go.. As for everything you will need to buy...

1. water pump
    2. water pump gasket
    3. RTV black sealant (dont need a whole lot but will help seal everything nicely)
    4.New belts (if its been awhile since the belt was replaced you should just replace it, check to see if it is worn and what not since you will have to take it off anyways)
    5. Tools to do the job...
    6. upper and lower radiator hoses (if you need them now is a good time to replace them)

Now the belt and the hoses are optional at this point.. check to see if they are worn out and need to be replaced..

Its not that hard do change out the water pump in them.. Just take your time and you will be alright..

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks Prembird.
    I think I will get the parts rounded up and then dig into this thing......thanks again