Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to reset the odomiter to 000000 ??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Has anyone figured out how to roll the numbers back to 000000? I took the number wheel out of my odomiter /forums/images/graemlins/eek.giflast night but I could not figure out how to make is free spin or reset?? I could have spun and spun until I got to 000000 but that would take hours /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Anyone /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

drive around the block a few times till it hits zeros, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just kidding. I have a few spares around here. If i get some time to mess with it I'll let you know. If you find out let us know too.

BTW: while reading about all this smog stuff I ran into a section that talks about reseting the spedo and placing a notice on your door pilar that you reset it. you can legaly reset it to zero's only. Cali laws /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif they want to know everything.

ARQ.

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I just did one for a tach dash I'm preping to put in my rig. You need to pull the face plate off the speedo. Then there are a couple of screws that let you access the odometer wheel. You can then lift the wheel out and start turning the numbers. You have to do them one at a time and then hold the ones set to zero in place. It is suprisingly easy! I figured that i shouldn't be a legal issue since the odometer is out of another truck anyway.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Did you do that with the odomiter out of our trucks?
    I had the number wheel in my hand and could not get them to turn seporatly so I could set them all to 0. They are stuck toghether internally. I could spin the 10ths number and then rest still turns as it counts like it suppose to but I just could not get them to spin independently to reset????
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Spin it backwards with a drill? Unlikes Ferris Bueller???

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahah No I don't want to do it the FB way hahahahahah
    Hmmmm, can't recal if it will spin backwards...but the drill idea is a good one. forward or backward...thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

Once you have the odometer wheel in your hand you will see that each number has a steel tab that is held by a thin plastic strip. Carefully remove the plastic, it's fragile. Hold the wheel in your left hand and spin the numbers backwards with your right. You need to get the zero on the left and work to the right while holding the steel tab. Make any sense at all /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, it's like a rolling Rubiks Cube [​IMG]

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I hear ya, so is that fragle plastic/paper thingy needed to make this work? I ask cuz mine fell apart when I removed the wheel /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    So if it will not work without that 'keeper' then my odomiter is toast. May I should buy a new one....
    Thanks!
    Burt

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

The paper deal tore on mine too but there was enough there still that I was able to put it back together. I pulled the whole wheel out and then spun them one at a time to get it into place.

I thought about hooking up a drill and spinning it forward (doesn't work going backward) until it hit 00000 but that would have taken too long. I figured that if I screwed it up I could just use the speedo that is currently in my truck.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I thought about hooking up a drill and spinning it forward (doesn't work going backward) until it hit 00000 but that would have taken too long.

[/ QUOTE ] why not just hook it up to a drill (corded or air so the batt dont die), tape the trigger on, and let it run. Go inside, take a nap, come back, speedo should be close, especially if its a high rpm air drill lol.