Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to roof mount?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by taterblazer, Apr 5, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Does an 88 Blazer have two layers of metal in the roof, not the roll cage area but forward of that? Any ideas for roof mounting?

2. taterblazer

Comon guys and turtles, share your knowledge!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by taterblazer on 04/07/01 01:00 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno, drill a hole from inside and see, I'd like to find out too...[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes there are two layers of roof, although I dont know how far apart they are....

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

5. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

I just roof mounted my CB about a month ago. I found out that the headliner did not touch the sheet metal above it. So, I found a piece of scrap sheetmetal (about 12" by 10") at the junkyard and slid it up on top of the headliner and positioned it so one edge would be supported by trim piece (at the top of the windshield) that holds the headliner up. Then I positioned the CB mounting bracket on the headliner where I wanted it and marked where holes would go. Then I made holes in the headliner with a small centerpunch (the headliner is only cardboard). Then I marked the same holes through the headliner on to the piece of sheet metal. Next, I removed the piece of sheet metal and drilled through the marked holes, and replaced it above the headliner. Then I put small bolts (about 1/2" to 34") through the Cb mounting bracket, headliner, and finally through the scrap sheet metal. Finally just put nuts on the bolts and tighten them down, and then replace the headliner support trim. I'll try to get a picture up if I get a chance. Hope that hepls. Oh...almost forgot....when initially deciding where to place the bracket, make sure you leave enough room so the ass-end of the CB and it's wires won't hit the windshield. Good luck.

CarolinaBlazer

6. taterblazer

This is how I did it. Buy a 2 1/4 inch bi-metal hole saw and mandrel or arbor. Pull all the trim on the roof. Punch a hole in the roof with the hole saw. Drill a little bit on the roof to mark the center. Grab a 1/2 or larger and punch a hole in the roof depending on your mount. Mines a Firestik roof mount. Put some of that plastic sleeve over the coax when you exit the roof hole to protect the coax. I then mounted my cb bracket to the roof of the cab. When your done get a continuity meter and check all your connections. Feel free to ask me questions.

Facts:
    Two layers of metal in roof. 1/2 inch apart or so.
    Best place to mount your antenna hands down is the roof.

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

There's about a half to 3/4 inch space between the layers in the roof.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]