Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to safely heat garage for painting

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by clstolten, Sep 20, 2006.

1. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

I want to put some omni urethane paint on my K5 this weekend, but the weather looks like it may not get above 60 degrees. Should I get one of those propane tank mounted heaters, heat the garage, turn of the heat, paint, turn heater back on? I am worried about blowing myself up. Also, is there any reason not to use halogen lighting while I paint? I know they get very hot. I put the primer on this afternoon, and I need better lighting. Thanks.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You'll be ok with the lights, just try not to get it too clouded up in there...

As far as heating..... rinse room and floor the night before.. you should be final washed and masked at this point.. what I do is crank the heat as hot as you can get first thing in the morn... Let it run a few hrs at least.... What really matters isn't so much air temp, but substrate temp... Getting that sheetmetal warm is key, makes for so much easier, better paint jobs... Wont run and flows out so much nicer..

Shut the heat off.... let it sit 1/2 hr or so... then run your fans for a 1/2 hr while you get your paint ready, refinal wash, tack, etc.... then spray...

run your fans a 1/2 hr after finishing.. shutdown, start heat again, as long and hot as you can stand...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  3. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Ryoken, that was very helpful. Hopefully, I can get this thing painted on Sunday.