Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to secure an ammo can

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Feb 20, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a large ammo can that I want to mount in the back of my pickup for holding spare parts. What would be the best way to secure it and keep it from bouncing around? My old idea did not work and my first can was scraped. It also has to be locked since it is outside and can be tampered with. :truck:

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Rivet or weld a lock hasp to the can so that the loop of the hasp sticks through the lid's handle. Throw a padlock through it and voila!

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you dont want it to bounce around screw/bolt it to the bed from the inside. wont go noware

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I did that and it has worked great....

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heres mine...

[​IMG]

basically, I just put it where I wanted it, drilled 4 holes through the can/body and then ran some bolts from the bottom up into the can and put big fender washers and locking nuts on them. To make the can lock, I used 2 u-bolts. Drilled 2 holes in each side of the can where the lock-down handle thing is and run a padlock through the u-bolts and you have water proof, lockable storage. Could it be removed by force? probably, but not without making enough noise that you risk the pist off owner coming outside with his H&K USP. ;) I herculined my ammo cans after I primed/painted them just for extra weather resistance. They work well and no matter how much I am bouncing around on the trail, there is no risk of a big wrench flying out and hitting me in the head. :D

j

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I think I remember seeing somewhere someone bolting a big ammo can in for a center console, and then making a smaller container on the lid, for little stuff. I think there were some cupholders involved somewhere too.

All this thinking is hurting my head.:doah: