Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to secure your highlift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outsider223, Mar 17, 2003.

1. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I'm curious how everyone stores their highlift. Right now mine is sitting in the back of my blazer making a bunch of noise and sliding all around. I'm also wondering how people store parts and tools in their vehicles? I have one big plastic storage, but I'm planning on making something more permenent.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a "V" bar in my main hoop, it comes down and mounts in the center behind the front seats. About 1' off the floor I welded on some mounts. The mounts are made from 1.5 x 0.187 square tube and 1/2 bolts with wing-nuts. Cut two pieces of square tube about 1.5" long and drill a 1/2" hole in the center of one side. Take (2) 2" long 1/2" bolts and cut the heads off. Stick them in the holes in the square tubing and weld from the inside so there is no bead on the outside. These will fit perfectly inside the channel of the "I" beam of the jack with the bolts going through holes. Stick them in place on the jack bar so that they line up with your chosen mounting surface and secure them with wing nuts to guarantee alignment. Tack them to the mounting surface, weld them in solid, and you have a nice mount that will not rattle and holds the jack securely...

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

There are some threaded holes in the my body in the back. I welded a handle to a bolt, to make a T. The jack fit between the wheel wells, I put the base againts the one wheel well and the bolt through a hole and screwed it down, it works, doesnt go anywhere.

4. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

5. BadDog

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

purdy simple... 2 big bolts, run em through whatever part of the body of ur rig (or bumper) that u want, torque em down... then put the high lift on top of the nuts using the holes in the highlift... then put wingnuts on top of the bolt that is sticking through the highlift and you're set. not sure if that made sense... but it works, its cheap, and its easy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i mounted mine on the lip of my bed side. drilled 2 holes put bolts and nuts in them and then set my hi-lift over the bolts and tightened it down with nuts. that way it's secured inside, out of the way, and still easy to get to. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have a flat mount spare tire holder www.fabtechmotorsports.com/html/misc.html and my hilift is clamped down to the floor with the tire. Pretty much I lay down the hilift near the tailgate, lay the 35'' on top of that and crank down on the "handle bars", I can't get the jack to budge without loosening the tire holder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I welded 2 carriage bolts to the roll bar, slid my HiLift over them and put 2 nuts/washers on them. Secure, and it only cost about a buck.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This how I have it mounted on the '80: http://tellicok5.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html I got the mounts free when I bought the jack and steel was free (scrap) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I used to have drawings up but they got dumped somewhere along the way.
    When I first got into this it was chained to tiedowns in the floor, near the tailgate.
    The one in the '73 is chained to the rollbar. It's kind of a pain. Its temp, but I had to do something, because when I bought it had some mounts like the '80 that were screwd into the inner bed side w/ drywall screws!

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It must suck to not be able to use your review mirror. I don't even like running my truck with the tailgate on because the puddle jumpers like to hide underneath my rear bumper. I can't imagine intentionally mounting a tire where I want to look.

12. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

13. BadDog

LOL! That's not my truck. I just linked the larger version of the pic form the previous post to help out. Mine is mounted sorta like that, but to the roll bar behind the front seats. And, not only do I not have a tail gate, I don't have bed sides, a top, fenders, ... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

15. outsider223

Those are all good ideas. Now just to find something that will work for me. Has anyone mounted these to a bumper or roofrack? I've thought I saw one mounted on a front bumper once.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Mark's got his mounted to his roofrack on his Pathfinder. It's held on with wingnuts.

http://www.sos.mtu.edu/4x4/images/markl1.jpg

I'd avoid putting them on a bumper if it were me. They'd spend a lot of time covered with mud if they were on a bumper of my truck. Not to mention I might peel it off on a tree.

Can you mount it to your bedside on the inside? I plan on putting one there someday. If you get real crazy you can stick plates up from the backside (between inner and outer skin) to make it stronger. This is what I plan on doing. If I ever save enough money for one. I keep buying wheels and tires and other junk.

17. outsider223

Yep, thats where I saw one mounted to a top basket. I was thinking of mounting the highlift under the bed rail. I might use some of the holes for the top and attach something to the side.

Do you guys still meet on Thursdays in Fisher?

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Here is how I mounted mine. Highlift
    Works good for holding a come-along also.

19. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeap, Fisher on Thursdays at 7pm. Usually it's in 326 now but they forgot about us when scheduling rooms so sometimes we have to move around.

Someone else used to have one mounted to their rack that was associated with the fourwheelers but never came to meetings but it's not on there anymore. I think someone might have stolen it.

20. outsider223

I'll have to come to a meeting, but I won't be able to get to one until after the weekend of April 5. I'm working on our steel bridge project and the competition is that weekend. I'll be there after that. Do you guys have an email list?