Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to set fuel / air mixture?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spincast375, Oct 14, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

454 with Rochester quadrajet M4CMC(?) model number #17081226

How do I set the fuel / air mixture? I don't know how to measure rich v. lean. Exhaust has strong gas smell.

Also, the idle speed solenoid has an electrical male plug on it. From where does it get power? When I rewired with Painless #10205, I had wire for electric choke, but no other.

Any help? Most appreciated!

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The best way i have found to set idle mixture is with a good vacuum guage. you want the highest vacuum you can get. set your idle speed, and adjust the mixture to achieve the highest vacuum you can get. You may have to adjust idle speed as you adjust mixture.
    the selonoid you see was for air conditioned models. Power was sent to the selonoid whenever the A/C compressor kicked on. save it. If you plan on installing a winch or on board welder, you can use this to kick the speed up on the engine when using accessories. I ran a wire to one from a toggle switch and used that to hold my idle up at 2,000 RPM.