Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to: shackles w/out aftermarket bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Feb 8, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well after a lot of searching and asking i never got a real answer on how i can mount some shackles to the front of my K5 with a stock bumper. After crawling around under the front end i found 4 extra holes and bolts that were not attached to anything on my frame. I cut a piece of cardboard out, mocked it up as the plate i would make to hang down from the frame. Then i got some metal that i had laying around my house and started cutting, then used a friends mag drill (these things RULE by the way) and drilled the holes to bolt it to the frame and then i drilled a large hole on the bottom to fit the shackle through. I also cut them with curves to make them look a little better than square blocks hanging down. Now all i have to do is paint it up, and bolt it on. Also in order to make use of every bolt hole on the frame you must cut up into the stock bumpers about halfway. Anyways here is what they came out to be like.. Only thing left is to paint them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Looks good, but you might want to double up the plates to help spread the pulling load out over the shackle pin more. That looks like 1/2" plate. Most shackles lugs are 1" plate to help decrease the PSI on the shackle pin.

Harley

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what he said...

j

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Im think that some gusseting would be in order to,if you get pullled to the side, id be willing to bet that bends in nothing flat

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll say exactly what I said on Pavementsucks.

Single shear? Are you nuts?