Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to start the 6.2's

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by muddybuddy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

when you guys start your diesels, do you give it half gas pedal when its 32*+ and full pedal when its 32* and below? i was looking at the driverside visor, and thats what it was saying to do, and i was wondering if that was really necessary. everytime ive tried to do that, it still doesnt start. most of the time i have to spray starter fluid into the intake to get it to start even when its 50* out, unless its already warm. could it be hard to start because of the IP? (yes i have been waiting for the glow plug light to go off)

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

your results may vary!..

Mine starts faster if I floor it,or give it at least 3/4 throttle,regardless of the temparature..if you crank it over and play with the gas pedal,you can hear it want to fire up as soon as you hit the 3/4 to full throttle mark..

You might have some glow plug issues,maybe not all are getting hot,might have a few dead ones..my 6.2 wont even fart unless the glow plugs are energized for at least 10 seconds in warm weather,or longer on cold days..(I have a manual switch setup)..:crazy:

3. muddybuddy

so how do i know if my glow plugs are dead or not? how hard are they to replace? are they expensive?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Take a test light, attach the clip to 12 volts (I use the lug on the firewall) then remove each glow plug connector and touch the spade end of the GP with the test light tip. If the light comes on the GP is good, if the light doesn't come on the GP is dead.

GP's average about $10 each.

Don't use starting fluid on a 6.2 that isn't manual glow control. You can do serious damage to the engine if the starting fluid ignites (from the GP's) in a couple of cylinders at the same time.

Rene

5. muddybuddy

the guy i bought the truck from said using starter fluid when the truck was cold was fine:doah: so if my truck struggles to start its probably got bad glow plugs? how hard are those to change?

rene, i noticed in another post of yours you mentioned some kind of Kennedy quick lite glow plug. what kind of glow plugs should i get? are the more expensive ones worth the additional cost?

6. tRustyK5

Glow plugs all seem to run about $10 each. The kennedy "Quick Heats" you can order through http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

Look under 6.2/6.5 parts, click on glow plugs.

They're easier than spark plugs to change...as long as the tips aren't swollen. :crazy:

rene

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

maybe on a non turbo.
    You'll see if you end up using the ATS tirbo setup. :doah:
    I have 3 that I am having problems accessing.
    Haven't given up yet.
    :o

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmm...

Makes me kinda glad I dont have a turbo!...:rolleyes: --but more power would be nice...

I'd much rather change glow plugs on my 6.2 than the 86 VW diesel Jetta I had --I could only get ONE out on that thing!--all 3 of the others were buried UNDER the injector pump!..looked like an all day sucker of a job,so I gave up when I found the one I replaced was enough to get it started again..I sold it not long after!...I loved the 43 MPG I got with it,but that car was a beotch to work on..my truck might drink more fuel,but at least I can FIX it!..

Like John Conlee's song says--"I'll take a Chevrolet any day"...

:crazy:

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't have to use the fuel pedal at all to get mine to fire. glow for 6-8 seconds, hit the starter and keep it glowing for another 4 seconds or so and it hardly has anything near a rough idle. i do wonder if a glow plug is in bad shape tho.

10. muddybuddy

well when the glow plug light comes on and then goes off, it starts right up, when it doesnt come on at all it doesnt want to start

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like the motor is turning over too slow to me. What shape are your batteries in? Battery cables, condition/size? Connections clean?

12. tRustyK5

I had the all time stupidest reason for hard starts recently. Just fixed it this afternoon. The 12 volt hot lug on the center firewall, on mine the nut had loosened up enough to make contact shaky at best. I cleaned it all up, snugged the nut up good and lo and behold I get a glow light every time and it fires right up.

8+ seconds of glow, touch the throttle enough to set the cold advance, and away she goes.

Rene

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

an old boss of mine used starter fluid on his diesel bobcat, agenst my warnings, endded up blowing a hole in the piston! cost him a ton in the end.

trest you GP, there the life of a cold diesel, if it still dosnt work well its time to look at your injectors.

maybe look in to a block heater when it is cold.

when i have my 6.2 running in my truck, i am going to make a winterization package, consisting, of at least one block heater, a lower raf hose heater, a in line heater core heater, a magnetic oil warmer, small space heater pipped into the air ducts, and a 1amp trickel charger, all wired in to a singel box/w timer and a retractable cord real, plug it in.

got a warm block, rad, heater core, oil, inside, topped up batterys, hell probably even melt the snow off my truck.

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Funny what a little fire can do :doah: sorry sounds like you might have an overload waiting to happen on one circuit.

15. muddybuddy

mines got the block heater to plug into the outlet. i thought i read in the garage or something that there was a sensor or something and sometimes it can come loose causing it not light the glow plugs???

maybe ill just rely on the block heater for now, and eventually look into getting some injectors

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nah all that chit is real low draw,

would have switching on it so i can select what to have on, depending on the weather