Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to stay dry

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Mar 17, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

some friends and i are taking a road trip soon with my friend's jeep and my k5. i'd like to go top-off, but don't want to get screwed if it rains. he has his jeep soft top, but i just can't flop down 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a k5 soft top right now. running topless is half the fun of these things, especially on the beach. how do you guys stay dry besides the factory hard top or aftermarket overpriced soft top?

2. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

When I take the top off I always pack a tarp just in case. Once I needed it and bungee corded it to the roll bar. I have a 86 so the front seats stay dry and warm, and I dont have a back seat.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

roll up the side windows and go fast :) rain will never touch you :D

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a half cab on my 2nd gen... I haven't had the top on in quite a while. The half cab keeps me dry. The entire rear half of my rig is waterproofed/bedlined, so I don't care if that stuff gets wet. When I camp, I store all my clothes and camping chiat in walmart cheapo plastic bins and toss em in the back, keeps my stuff dry.

j

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

ok, it looks like we're all on the same page with this. i've used the rubbermaid tubs and plastic bags, etc. with good results. i too have just metal with bedliner on it, so mildew and stuff isn't a concern. pedals in puddles aren't ideal, though. i've had the half-cab rain experience, too. i was surprised how well it kept us in the front dry. too bad there isn't a less pricey option than the soft top. thanx