Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to---- steering wheel removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chebywanna, May 1, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i got the center bolt off but the steering wheel won't come off, why, is it pressed on there? i thought they just slid on. (90 full size p/u)

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

you should need a steering wheel puller i think. but the more experienced guys can prove me wrong,

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

You do want a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor if you plan on going beyond the steering wheel.

4. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

oh well forget the steering wheel than, i got started on stripping it too late.

and i got to say, DANG!! quick replies! i..... like it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. alesko

alesko Registered Member

Steering wheel pullers are inexpensive and can be bought at any parts store.
    However you can try this, screw nut back on until its flush with the bolt, get a BFH, wrap one arm around the wheel, pull it toward you and with the other hand take the BFH and wack the nut a few times. Two people would make this easier.
    WARNING; I've done this a few times and it worked, but the risk of damaging something is great.
    If you are not in a hurry, get a puller and make your life easy.

6. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

You can also try just banging on the back of the steering wheel towards you alternately one side to the other. The danger is the wheel could come off suddently and smack you in the head, mouth, nose etc. Personal experience. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif With a little persistance this method has always worked for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You can rent pullers at Autozone for free. I highly recommend it since I've taken mine off without the puller or the compressor and you can do it just make sure to eat your wheaties, spinach etc before hand /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif