Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to stop the sway and stiffen the ride?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPS, May 2, 2003.

1. BPS

BPS Registered Member

I have a '90 K5 with new rancho 5000 shocks all round, new wheels and the roadmaster active suspension kit http://www.activesuspension.com/

I'm finding that the truck is still very bouncy and really "floats" when I drive on a twisty turney road.

AFAIK - there are no sway bars on the vehicles - is this normal? I don't even see where te would bolt on to!

How can I stiffen up the ride??? I'm tired of turning left and have the body want to tilt to the right.

Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They did come with a front sway bar from the factory, if you don't have one then someone removed it. the truck is never going to handle like it's on rails though; it is, after all, a truck. </font>

3. BPS

BPS Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know it's never going to be really tight - I just happened to be behind it today while someone else was driving and it sure bounces around a LOT more than other trucks especially considering it have new(ish) shocks.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

POLY BODY BUSHINGS /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    100% increase in drive-ablitiy

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

It should definitely have a front sway bar on the front axle where the spring perches are. I hated the unstable ride of my 88 so I bought 2" spacers for the rear widening the rear axle stance 4". That made a huge difference. Check all of your steering linkage and ball joints. The slightest amount of play makes them handle like sh!t. I also added the rear anti-sway bar. Another huge improvement. A tight steering box and good steering stabilizer also helps. Finally check your alignment. These things have a tendency to oversteer and sway. Mine is like a new truck now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you don't do much wheeling re-install the swaybar. I have been driving without mine for a year now and I am not putting it back on.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just noticed that your sig says you have a camper on it. I'm not positive but I think Chalets came with a rear sway to help with the raised CG. Helwig makes a sway that will work on these trucks. That might be your answer.

THe stock 79 I just sold handled great. For what it was I thought it was above average. My 2wd Burb wallows in compairison but the shock are shot. See if the Bilsteins I just orderd fix that.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get an anti-sway bar from a ck5er who doesnt need theirs and install Rancho HD front springs. Your suspension will never flex again.

j

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

yup. Put sway bars front and rear.
    I have them on mine. I disconnect them if I am going to do any serious wheeling. But reconect them when on the road. I hate the way it handles without the sway bar. Its like driving around a beached whale.
    I drive fast and I tow quite a bit so I really like sway bars. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Check this site out:helpersprings.com
    They should have what you need to fix things up.
    You should be able to pick up the front sway bar cheap from a junkyard. just put in some poly bushings and yur good to go.

10. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

My truck used to handle like that too, then I put Bilstein mono tubes all around and added a Hellwig rear sway bar. 500% increase in handling and drivability. And I've got a set of Poly body mounts and suspension bushings waiting to go on. If you're not doing heavy wheeling, add the rear sway bar. Probably the best non-engine related mod i've done.

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

gotta link to the bilstien mono tubes? how much did you spend of them? thanks,

jason

12. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

honestly, the bilsteins were a gift from my dad, so I'm not really sure how much they ran. I'll talk to him about it next chance I get.