Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to store an axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Sep 15, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay guys, I just got a screaming deal on a really nice 6 lug 14 bolt SF axle. [​IMG] Thing is, I am going to let it sit until I do the solid axle swap up front. [​IMG] I was not planning on getting this thing, just sort of walked into a great deal. So I am going to stuff it in my storage locker and sit on it for a while, maybe up to a year or more. Was wondering how you store an axle? With/without fluid? Grease anything? I just want to make sure it will be fully functional when I pull it out and try to put it on. Thanks for any help.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I would leave the gear oil in it cause all that stuff in there is bare metal.Also if the brakes(drums) are still good on it,i would coat them with some kind of oil.Hell just dunk the who thing in oil and shrink wrap it =)That way nothing should rust...later

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Don't get so technical!! Store it like I'm storing a front Dana 60, with tires on it under a grapefruit tree!!! Hehehehe!!!

ken

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'd change the gear oil in it, just to be certain there's no water in the old oil to rust the internals. Smear some grease (any kind will do) over any bare metal, and maybe put some old ghetto wheels, with or without tires, on it to make it easier to move around.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!