Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to straighten frame????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerGuy, Feb 6, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Awhile back my towhook got caught on a rock and bent the frame /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, as you can see. How can I straighten it?? Or is it best left up to a shop? don't worry about the spring hanger, I can get another one of those. Keep in mind I don't have a welder(I do have a torch though). /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

Oh and keep your "Those towhooks and the way they're mounted sucks" comments to yourself...they're the PO's doing and I'm trying to get rid of them... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'd say if the frame (vertical section is not bent) just the bottom... get a huge ass plumbers wrench and put on there and bend that area back down, then drill a hole in the front bumper and piece of 2"x1" steel about 16" long and drill a bunch of holes in it and mount it to the frame and put a clevis on the front /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

^ the other little piece of steel is like 1/8-3/16" same holes and sandwich the frame /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good idea.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i say get a big floorjack under the spring hanger... just tall enough to keep the suspension from compressing too far..put a piece of plywood under the jackstand, run a come-along cable under the plywood, under the tire and back to the t-case xmember, and come along the frame straight?? but use a towel between the cable and tire.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I say torch the tow hook off and leave it. That part being bent isn't hurting anything.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

nah, but the spring hanger being bent possibly could be..

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I usually have the hook off since it's useless but I put it on in the pic so y'all can see the angle better(the hook use to be straight). I haven't had any problems with it yet but I might in the future since I plan on relocating the spring hanger foward to accomodate 52" springs. I think I'm gonna get it as straight as possible with the forkin huge wrench idea and slap some D-shackles on da beotch! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Hell, it'll even improve the approach angle... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I assume I should use a 2"x1" solid piece of steel??? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Heat it and beat it, it'll go back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif