Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to straighten front end of chassis

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Apr 21, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I was out wheeling and going down a hill I hit the bottom of the hill with my winch support. The winch support is bolted to front end of the chassis where the stock bumber brackets go and the passenger side chassis rail got bend up a little so my winch support is not level anymore. I need to pull down the front part of the passenger side chassis rail about 1 inch, it is only the last 7 inches of the chassis that sticks out the front that are bent up. How do I pull it down? Hope you understood my explanation.

2. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Its probably better to take it to a bodyshop to have it done. They have a frame rack that they can use to tie it down. Unless you know what you are doing I would'nt recomend pulling a frame. It takes a lot of pressure to pull a frame square. Plus on down pulls a rack is the only safe way to tie it down. The racks I use at work to pull frames with can put out 10,000 lbs of pressure. If you don't know where to tie the frame down and where to pull from you can cause more damage or worse, hurt yourself.
    If it is just the rail then it should'nt be to much to have the rail straightend. I say teardown the front end(bumper, winch, etc) so all the shop will have to do is pull the frame.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Yeah, sounds like the way to go. I will take everything of the front and just have them pull the frame. Would it be a good idea for me to box the front to make it stronger in case I should get dumb enough to do the same again?
    By the way, I now appreciate my seatbelt a lot more. If I had not been wearing it my nose would have had a close encounter with the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif