Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to strengthen a STOCK frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 19, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've now heard that I may need to strengthen my frame... has anyone done this? What should I do first? What should I expect? Where do I start researching this? Sheesh... any info would be helpful! Thanks all! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Boxing it will work if done correctly, extra bracing/crossmembers will stiffen it up. Remember the frames on these rigs flex quite a bit (helps with RTI scores) and were made to "give" to an extent. If you stiffen it up, it may (not saying it will) cause problems in other areas. The only part I would strengthen if you already haven't is the area around the steering box as that is a major weak point (as if you already didn't know /forums/images/icons/grin.gif).
    Do you have hardcore (more than say Steve Watson/Steve Fox) plans in mind. Their frames are holding up and I don't think there is any Major enhancements to the stiffness of their frames (maybe and extra crossmember or too).
    Or have you already had problems?
    Might be easier to find a K30 frame and shorten it instead of trying to box an existing one.....all depends on your time and $$$. Don't know just throwing out ideas.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There was a short thread on this probably less than a week ago, I posted some of my ideas there.

Another one I came up with last night with just a cursory glance is to box the crossmember just forward of the rear axle. I'm sure its pretty stiff as is, but boxing it can't hurt, and nothing is routed there, so should be pretty easy.

As has been mentioned, it will hurt flex to an extent, but from what I've seen with GM cars, stiffening up the chassis hasn't led to failures anywhere else (as I thought would happen) such as stress cracks and such.

I think the tradeoff in flex vs not being able to open the doors easily, tops seperating at the seams, and the roof buckling would be worth it, IF the strengthening isn't TOO difficult. But it looks to be quite time consuming.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I guess I should have said that I already installed the ORD steering box brace! (that is the first mod I ever did!) And NO I've not had problems YET. I'm only asking since I kinda left my rig flexed up at work yesterday for ~10 hours, and its still kinda crooked! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif So as a result, I was told to look into strengthening the frame up. I have also yanked quite a few of the rivets, and replaced them with 1/2 grade 8 bolts. Other than those two mods, I haven't touched the frame, as I never expected it to have problems! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Dan, I have not gotten around to starting this yet but I will soon. I am going to raise the body mounts 3" higher on the frame (not body spacers) and then build a sub-frame out of tube that will attach to the frame and the roll cage. This will sit between the frame and body. With everything tied together it should be pretty stiff and the body should not be twisted when the axles are twisted. It will be latter this summer before I can get pictures up on this part of the project.