Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to swap a 205 and 203?? Need to know

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Jul 15, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 205 from "DP 90K5" He is a great guy. I do have some questions on this swap now that I have a 205 case to look at. Case arrived today looks great.

Since I know nothing about transfer cases.... I have a th350 and 203 combo in my 1979 blazer. I have already swapped out the axels with 3/4 tons. I believe it is a D44 front and 14ff rear from a 78 truck. I think I had to get some new u-joints when I did the swap a few years ago. I think they were a conversion joint, but I know I have not changed any of the yokes.

The 205 is quite a bit smaller in length then the 203 so I see a new driveline in the future.

DP also included a HD 32 spline front output shaft but I do not know if or how this would help. He said it would allow the option to run a 1310 to 1450 size ujoints.

Just need some overall help if anyone knows a bit about this since I know nothing? Thanks guys and gals.

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

It's pretty straight-forward bro, drop the shafts, shift boot/shifter, prop up the transmission, remove all bolts holding the 203 to the adapter plate, back up 10 yards and punt with both feet....it should fall to the ground with a thud.

Remove the cross-member then the adapter plate from the tranny, install new adapter plate and custom drive-sleeve from (ORD).....good people.

Now go round up 1 man and 1 boy to help you muscle that 205 up and into the adapter plate, install the new twin-stick shifter also available from (ORD).....more good people, cut and weld the new shafts with some bullet-proof u-joints and gas on it brother cause you aint gonna break it. :bow:

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you'll probably have to cut the hole bigger where the shifter comes through the body. and im not sure if your goin to have to drill new holes in the frame for the crossmember.

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Make a doubler out of the two. I have heard that the 203/205 doubler is almost the same length at the plain 203 t-case. :D

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I don't think I should need the drive sleeve since it came off a th350 should I?

I knew the doubler would come up. My concern is u joints and what I need to bulletproof them.

6. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I did this swap a few years ago on my 78. Everything just bolted up except for driveshafts. The crossmember stayed in the same place and did not require any modifications.

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Nope and nope...you aint gotta cut nothing but the shafts.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I think I have the same crossmember as the one removed. If not fab work there is no problem.

I am almost positive I can reuse the drive sleeve on the input from the 203 correct? Since it is the 27 spline male "fine" input which came with the TH350 transmission. Shouldn't both the 203 and 205 need the same shaft stickout from the back of the TH350 case. About 7/8"?

Ok now for the HD output shaft. After some research this is what I found and need input from everyone here.

I think I have a 30 spline output shaft on the 205. It came with the flat flange on the output, capable of accepting the GM 3R series CV joint. Which is what I have on the stock driveline in a 1979 (I think)

Some people do prefer the flat flange output on the 30 spline output shaft due to the fact that you can actually put a socket on the bolts that hold it together from the front. The yoke style CV joint is a real pain to install since it uses fine thread bolt installed from the rear of the yoke.

Now I have a Ford 32 spline NP205 front output shaft which could be installed. Then I could use a specialty flange type output. Then I think I could use a NP203 or NP205 rear yoke on the front, so the yokes interchange. You could get about any driveshaft connection you can imagine for this output configuration. And with the 32 spline, you're basically guaranteed it's not going to break.

But since I have a 30 spline front output already, is it worth swapping the 32 spline shaft in? I now I will not be able to use the CV I have now since it mounts on the plate.....

a bit lost :crazy:

9. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

You have PM.
    Jimbo

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Glad to see another NM'er on here. Thanks for the offer of free labor. I'll take you up on it.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't think the 203 has a drive sleeve. It just has a female input that the transmission shaft goes into.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Why would he need this?

13. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

He doesn't need it..............it's just the icing on the 205 cake bro.

14. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The 205 uses a drive sleeve and a troublesome bearing...the ORD drive sleeve eliminates the bearing

I'm just offering friendly advice to save you time and money down the road....do it like ya wanna....look out, I'm backing up!

15. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Mad-Dog. That is something I needed to know. I would have been dead in the water after I dropped the 203 and found no drive sleeve to reuse. I'll give ORD a shout and get the upgraded drive sleeve. The twin stick will have to wait for the double when I can tri-stick ;-)

Can't seem to find it one there site. Doies anyone have a link to the drive sleeve? I'll just give them a call tom. if not. Thanks

16. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I swear it's on their site but they have the worst navigation links on that page, give em a call....mine costs $95 and is well worth the money. :bow:

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I got the drivesleve from Stephen and both his service and product rocks. I also grabed a steering box brace since I currently have no cracks. Hopefully we can keep them from happening.

Got everything strapped in and ready to rock on to drivelines. At rest my center to center rear yoke measurement is 41" Is there a transplant driveline for this or are we going to be looking into a custom? The 205 is a fixed yoke output and has a 1350 yoke. My 14b also has a 1350 but I could upgrade to a 1410 if it would help make a factory driveline useable. I have heard something about a dodge single cab truck driveline to swap in??? I will be replacing the 14's yoke to a u-joint strap at the same time in either the 1350 or 1410 styles.

18. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The yokes are fine, just have the driveshaft lengthened.

I'm glad you're happy with the drive-sleeve, i thought you would be.

Good call on the steering box brace, mine is due for one as well.

:bow:

19. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Problem is the 203 had different yoke then the 205 and I was already using some funky swap over on the lower to fit the 14 bolt. I want to get rid of the small joints on the driveline for strength so the current driveline got a chain welded to it and now it is a geat boat anchor.