Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOW to swap a caddy 500?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coloradoblazers, Aug 7, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I found a '76 Cadallic 500cid Fuel Injected engine for $400.00. I was wondering what is needed to swap this into a K5. I have an '87 with a 305 TBI & SM465/np208. What do I need, and where do I find it. Here is what I have just come up with off the top of my head.
    Moter mounts
    Bellhousing adapterNew T-case & axels(something stronger)
    I have done research on this through www.5oocid.com, and think it would be a killer engine(low end grunt & power)
    I only get 12 mpg, so dropping to 8 is no biggie(that and I'll be in the service soon, so I wont need a full time car!)
    The F.I. from the factory will keep things from dying when I go up my driveway. I allready have F.I., so what do I need to get from the doner? Computer(will it have one?), misc?
    As you can see, I dont know much on the task ahead, but with all the knowledge here, I should be pointed off in the right direction! Thanks alot!!
    Jake

2. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

bad link for the 500cid site.....

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Try these sites www.cad500parts.com and www.mts.simplenet.com for all the parts you need. This is not the simplest of conversions but everything is available if you take the time to search it out.

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Do you have the motor or the entire car? The swap is much easier if you start with a complete donor Caddy especially since you are swapping to a FI500 and will need the computer and wiring harness. You will need the motor mounts and could use the BOP TH400 tranny(th400/np205) instead of using the SM465/np208. I don't know what it would require to use the sm465.

I don't think you would be losing any gas milage. I would be suprised if you couldn't get at "least" 12mpg out of the 500FI Cad.

Maybe you should just give the motor to me /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I've been looking for another for quite awhile

5. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

this web site might help out a bit http://www.alaskaoffroad.com/tech.htm

You can follow the liks on the left hand side of the page and at the bottom to find info about the cad swap.

Brook