Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to swap in 2000 TBI 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by turbo, Mar 23, 2001.

1. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

I have a donor 2000 TBI 350 which I want to swap into a carb 350 83
    Do the 2000 TBI trucks have VATS and if so where is the module located?
    What should I get from donor besides engine with atached sensors the MAP and the computer and O2 sensor?
    Is there a seperate spark control module?
    Besides parts from donor harness and a 15psi fuel pump and fittings is their any other stuff I would need like a spedo cable pulse generator?

Thanks

2. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Are you using accessories from your '83? I swapped in a '98 350 into my '79 and ran into a few problems. If you use the olf accessories with stick V-belt pulleys, be careful. The damper of the newer engines isn't the same width and i had to space it out to match up with the other accesories. I'm still looking for a set of pulleys that will correct this because it's not the most reliable system right now. I would get as much as you can get, water pump, alternator everything. Also the newer engines have an oil cooler. Get it if you can because it cost around 150 for the entire unit and mounting piece.
    Good luck!

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Not 100% sure... put you are probably gonna need it all... all the accesories because they take a lot more juice then the 83 alt can keep up with... also am thinking you are going to need the tranny and whatnot.... unless you can get a shop to do a major custom programing job or supply a revised comp... black box... etc. Heck these vehicles also have OBD II and you will need all the emmisions stuff.... also of course you will need to wire in the multiple O2 sensors... A very complicated swap... although I would think it wouldn't be too bad if you just swapped the whole deal holyfield into your truck.... also might want to find a place to supply or make an adapter for the tranny to whatever t-case you have.... then measure up driveshafts... I'm sure there is probably more, but sounds like a cool project... keep us posted

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

From what I understand to disable the VATS Your looking at having a chip burned for the ECU. Friend recently did a swap of a TPI onto a motor in a 72 and the place the burned the chip disable the VATS and recalibrated for the cam he was using.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I was unaware that the 350 still existed in the 2000 model year...I thought it was phased out, just the 4.3, 4.8 and 6.0 being the only engines available since 99 Did I miss something somewhere?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

6. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

350 is still available in certain models. i was suprised when i saw it in the gmc sierra catalog.

[​IMG]

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I thought the last year for the TBI was '95, with the Vortec starting in '96.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

I think Pete is right about the TBI ending in '95. I think they went to SFI in '96.

Casey 86K5 [​IMG]
    <font color=red> -'86 K-5 350/700-R4/14 bolt rear/10-bolt front </font color=red>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://86blazer.coloradok5.com>http://86blazer.coloradok5.com</A>