Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to take off steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 24, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to put on a grant steering wheel and I cant figure out how to take off the stock steering wheel, I took off the horn stuff and that one large nut and it still wouldnt come off, need help!!!
    Thanks

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You gonna hafta sacrafice a lamb to the steering wheel gods....then your gonna hafta get a steering wheel puller... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hack it off, and by a after market one /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

4. 85mudblazin

Do they have the steering wheel puller at like autozone??

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yea you can rent them here in N.C. and when ya return them you get ALL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifyour money back.

6. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Yea, in winston( North carolina) we can rent and get all our money back to!

7. berndogg

berndogg Registered Member

The most basic tools make life so much more grand. I bought a puller for under 20 bucks and youd be surprised how much it would get used after you own it.

8. branrat

branrat Registered Member

Tighten the steering wheel nut down snug then tighten it REAL good. This will break the steering wheel loose a bit. Then remove the nut & use the puller

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The most basic tools make life so much more grand. I bought a puller for under 20 bucks and youd be surprised how much it would get used after you own it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because all your buddies want to use it! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. 85mudblazin

I just got my new steering wheel and a steering wheel puller and I took off all the horn stuff and put the puller on and started cranking down then snap and I was like WTF then I looked and stupid me forgot to take off the main nut that holds the wheel on, so I tried to get the broken piece out but no luck so I am just gonna get some new bolts and use the other holes in the puller, all well maybe ill slow down next time. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Loosen the big nut. Screw the nut up so that it is even with the end of the bolt.
    Bring your knees up to the base of the steering wheel. Put your toes on the floor and push as hard as you can on the wheel. Now grab the top of the wheel with one hand and pull towards you as hard as you can.
    Now give that nut a few whacks with a big @#$%'n hammer.
    The wheel should pop off. Don't worry the nut won't let it come off far enough to break your teeth.

Use some discression here as you can collapse the column or just ruin the bolt or nut.
    If it seems that you are damaging something or you are just putting too much effort into the project it will be time to buy another puller.